Chapter 15

Ruh's POV:

Blood against my cheek dried up itching against my cheek. And the wound against my hand was stinging as if it was constantly prickled by needles. Tear stained cheeks, unruly hair, my reflection was horrible to look at.

  I yelped when I saw another reflection in the water beside me. 

"I'm sorry to have startled you, Ruh Begum!" The stranger who saved me at court said but his eyes were mischievous.

"You're so not." I narrowed my eyes at him. "You're right, I'm so not. I wished you'd fall inside the pond." He chuckled and rumpled my already messed hair.

I scoffed, " So rude. Why are you here?"

He scoffed mocking me, "So rude!"

"Stop that!" I snapped.

"Stop that!" He mimicked but in a nasally tone.

"I don't sound like that!"

"Oh! You're impossible!" I cried out and walked to leave.

"Wash up before you go!" He grabbed my shoulders pulling me back.

I scoffed and washed the blood hastily, my cheek was still stinging but I tried to walk away.

"Wait right there!" He called out to me. Walking, he stood in front of me and held my cheek. His eyes were calm one second  and then they were raging the next.

"Did he do this to you? Did he hit you?" He asked but I knew his anger was on the threshold. I didn't say anything. But as they say, silence itself is an answer. He understood it.

"I'm going to kill him!" He said walking away.

I was so confused. Why would he defend me? Why? Did he perhaps have feelings for me?

"Wait! Where are you going?" I held his arm.

"To kill that wretched man."

"Why?" I asked standing before him blocking his way.

"Why?" He repeated.

"D-Do you perhaps like me?" I asked hesitating.

"What?" He asked choking on his own spit. "Why would I like my sister?"

"Your sister?" I asked surprised. To think of it, his over protectiveness, his touch seemed passive and brotherly.

"If my sister was still alive she would be just like you Ruh Begum. Whatever I feel for you is fully platonic and brotherly." He raised his hands up to prove his innocence. "Perhaps do you..?"

"What?" I squeaked in a un ladylike manner, "I don't. I'm married for God's sake." I said disgusted. The only person I had feelings for had all respect from my side today. Shivers ran down my spine as I remembered the events that happened in the morning.

A few hours before...

"Ada begum I don't think this is appropriate." I fidgeted with my fingers. An overwhelming feeling of shyness took over me as my veil was not on my head. It was hanging low down my waist.

"This is a strike. We are all doing this for you, so that he treats you with respect."

I sighed, "For how long are we supposed to not tie our hair and not wear jewellery and not  cover our heads?"

"Till he apologises. Until then we will dress the same way you were dragged to court." She said with all her pride and walked the gardens with her head raised. All the guards and any other men lowered their gazes. Soon enough the news was going to reach him and he won't be any less furious.