nine

I would write more about you, but there aren't words to describe how much I adore you and how amazing you are to be breathing and living. No word or phrase is worthy enough to describe you.

A knock echoed through the bare entrance, and I answered it without hesitation. His tired eyes didn't even take time to glance at me. His mind was placed on the single envelope that was handed to me, and as soon as his large hands received the paper, he ripped it open to read what was inside.

His eyes danced across every letter. I became so jealous of every mark on the paper. What did they hold that was so much better than me?

That was a stupid question, and for that, I truly apologize.

He finished reading the paper for the second time, and just sighed. Frustration was evident in his breath and in the environment in the room.

"Well?" I speak after a long period of time. He just keeps his eyes closed, but his hand finally moves to run itself through his messy hair.

I've never seen him with his hair not done. It fell almost to his shoulders, the dampness of a shower from the night before weighing each follicle down. The way he looked right now made me question myself. He looked so tired, and he didn't put an unknown amount of time into his hair or his attire, and he was grumpy from lack of sleep. This made me question myself if I just like him, or do I like the idea?

"Just let me think for a minute." His slender fingers rubbed circles into his temples.

I pursed my lips. "Would you like some tea? Coffee?" I ask.

He finally opens his eyes, the jade in his orbs peering through the darkness at me. "Coffee would be great."

I nod, smiling to myself as my socks pad against the floor to the kitchen. I'm finally sure that I'm making enough for us, and there will be no excess.

When I come back into the living room, Harry is on the phone talking to someone in a low voice.

"It's from Hern. He say he want at least a hundred grand, and he'll continue to raise it if we decline." The other person talked and Harry listened. "No, the money isn't the problem. Hern and the Salvs are taking what's ours, so we'll just have to fight back."

I cleared my throat to get Harry's attention. He turned to me, before demanding the person on the phone to 'hang on'.

"What?" His voice was almost to a whisper.

"How do you like your coffee?" I ask.

He licks his lips, making my legs nearly quiver. "Just black is fine."

I nod before heading back to the kitchen. He would take his coffee black; how did I not guess this? He holds a personality that's dark like the brew, and is very narcissistic when it comes to getting what he wants, when he wants it.

I continue to pour the coffee into mugs while listening into his conversation.

"Yes, I'm still here. Why?" He listens carefully to the other person for awhile, before sighing. "Are you sure? They only seem to see her as a messenger."

They were talking about me.  Since the latino man delivered the message to me, it must be me. I set the coffee put down, grab the mugs and head into the living room once again.

Harry phone was set on the arm of the couch, and the letter was back in his big hands. I set the mug down on the table, hearing a small 'thank you' come from Harry's lips.

I grab the remote, turning on the television and turn it down so Harry can concentrate on what he's doing. There's not reason to ask him. He'll only tell me it's none of my business.