Chapter 2

The wind whistles through my ears and I have the urge to scream. But I can't.

Suddenly I hit something hard. It gives way beneath me and cradles me. The impact knocks the wind out of me and I wheeze, struggling to breathe again. My legs and arms sting from the impact, an I lay there.

A net. Of coarse there's a net! The Dauntless aren't stupid! They don't want us to die!

"Are you just going to lie there all day, or are you going to get up?" Someone asks. I look up an see a man his black hair was ruffled and sticking up everywhere, his dark brown eyes have a twinkle in them, like he always jokes with people. He is holding out his hand, which has a tattoo of a red dragon wound around it with it breathing fire onto his outstretched hand.

I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up like he was picking up a feather off of the ground.

"What's your name, transfer?" He asks.

"Tobias," I say evenly.

A look of surprise crosses his face, than he smiles.

Welcome to Dauntless, Tobias," he turns around and holds my hand up, a crowd of black clothed Dauntless materialize out o the darkness.

"Tobias, the first jumper!" He shouts, and is rewarded by every Dauntless member roaring, and stomping, making the whole cavern shake.

A high-pitched squeal comes down the hole and, Eric, the rude Erudite appears on the net.

The Dauntless crack a smile and I do too.

"Marissa, you want that one?" The tattoo man asks a girl beside him.

"Very funny, Martin, you can have him," she says pushing him toward the net, her long brown hair swishing behind her and her green/brown eyes alight with laughter.

Martin laughs and helps Eric out of the net when Valerie comes falling down, laughing.

When all the initiates have jumped and the crowd has dispersed leaving us, the Dauntless initiates and the transfers, with Martin and Marissa.

Martin steps forward.

"Follow me," he says an abruptly turns around and walks down a narrow hallway, Marissa follows him and everyone else falls instep behind her.

Suddenly we stop.

"This is where we'll split," Marissa says, "the Dauntless born initiates will follow me. You won't need a tour of the place."

When all the Dauntless born initiates are gone, the group is surprisingly small. I'm the only Abnegation and there are no Amity.

"Well than," Martin says clapping his hands and smiling. "I am Martin and I will be your instructor for the next few weeks."

He looks around at our faces.

"We are going to head into the Pit, it is where-"

"The Pit," Eric snickers, "what kind of name is that?"

"Zeke told me about you," Martin says, calmly. "Your the smart-mouth Erudite, who thinks he knows everything." He raises and eyebrow.

Eric's gin seems to fade a bit.

"Are you sure your not a Candor?"

And with that he turns and walks forward again.

"Follow me," he says simply.

Eric is glaring at Martins head, and clenching his fists. If looks could kill...

Martin reaches a door, opens it and I get my first glance of the Pit.

'Pit' seems to be the perfect name for it, that's what it was.

The Pit is a humongous cavern, it's uneven rock walls rise far above my head. On the floor are places for food, clothing, supplies, and other things are built into the stone walls.

Everywhere there are people dressed in black. Children run on suspended platforms so fast, it scares me.

There is no railing. How am I going to survive?

"Follow me," Martin says.

He leads us to an iron barrier. When we come closer I hear the roar of water as it crashes onto rocks.

As I peer down, I almost jump back in fright. Behind the barrier is an almost vertical drop to rushing river, filled with gigantic rocks.

"The river reminds us of the fine line between bravery an being completely idiotic!" Martin yells over the sound of the river, "If you jump off this ledge, you will most certainly die. It has happened before, and will happen again. You've been warned."

Martin turns and we follow him. Who would be stupid enough to jump a certain suicidal jump into a rushing river?

Martin than leads us to a gaping hole in the wall.

It's the dining hall.

Finally, something none life threatening.

{}

Hey guys!!

Please vote! If you guys vote I'll post more often! :)

Also please comment!

-Correct me

-Criticize me

-Encourage me

I don't care! Please! I want to hear your feed back!!

Fan!

Ya... Anyway. Hope you guys liked it! :)

-Arya