Chapter 31: not the truth

Levi had not come back. Lully and the others had all gone back to their berths, and I paced up and down my parents' living room as my madre watched the door with a little worry.

"Perhaps he went back to your berth?" my madre suggested. "I doubt that Walsh would have brought him back out of kindness, and I don't imagine that poor Levi could find his way back here."

That didn't explain why he hadn't tried to contact us, nor did it fully explain why my papa had come so suddenly. What in the seasons could have been so important? But I knew that I was probably overreacting. Moonshy, especially when I had known Levi for less than a week. Even now, I couldn't imagine life without Levi, rather than despairing about life with him.

"That makes sense," I agreed, trying to smile. "Merci beaucoup, madre, for the party. It was nice."

"I'm glad to see that you and Levi have made up," she smiled. "And now I can expect a grandchild sooner rather than later."

"Madre," I complained, wrinkling my nose. "It's definitely going to be later. I'm not having any kid until much later."

"Probably wise, given how difficult you were as a child," she laughed. "Send me a click when you've found him; I'd hate for Levi to be wandering the halls lost for hours."

This was totally plausible. I headed down the corridor towards my own berth, though taking a moment at intersections to see if Levi was indeed lost in the base, roaming the halls until he found something familiar or someone to take pity on him. But I made it back to my berth without seeing him and punched in my code with a sigh. Upon entry, I noted with relief that someone was sitting on my couch though startled when I realized it was papa.

"What...what are you doing here?" I inquired. "Is Levi here?"

"Non," he answered. "Sit down, Dylan."

I sat with a growing sense of unease. My papa explained that the air crisis was much more serious than they thought and they needed help from an engineer in cryo. He spoke in a soft low voice, as if he was worried about how I was going to take the news.

"But the lights are back to normal," I said, puzzled.

"We didn't want everyone to keep worrying," he answered. "It's much more serious than that." At first, I didn't understand what any of this had to do with Levi, but my papa continued: "We don't have the resources to add more people, even to aid in a crisis." He sounded far away in my spinning head. "Levi offered to return to cryo so we can pull the engineer out as soon as possible."

"What?" I heard my mouth say.

My papa shook his head. "I hated to ask, but he's the only one who could return tomorrow. I'm sorry Dylan. It seemed like you two were getting along."

"We were," I managed. "What about, what about his books? This berth? What happens to me?"

These were silly things, but I couldn't believe what my papa was telling me. Levi was gone? Back into cryo? What was I going to do?

"You'll move back in with us, for now," my papa told me. "As for his things, we can put them back into storage. Maybe we'll be able to retrieve him after this crisis is over."

This was the first thing that seemed remotely hopeful. I didn't want to contemplate the rest of my life without anyone to share it with.

"Maybe he'll let me keep his books," I hoped. "Where is he? He's not asleep yet, is he?"

"He's prepping tonight," my papa assured me. "You'll be able to see him tomorrow morning."

He stood up from the couch and smoothed back his hair. "I'm sorry, Dylan, that this happened. It isn't fair to you. But you understand, don't you? We have to get this base through the earthstorm and with you injured and the backup scrubbers down, this was the only solution."

"I understand," I said in a small voice.

"Goodnight, Dylan," he said, heading for the door.

"Goodnight, Papa."

The door slid shut and I slumped into the couch, staring at the box of Levi's books. He hadn't waited to tell me himself, and I couldn't deny that it hurt. Why wouldn't he wait?

I wondered if much of his behavior today was a front, and he had been truly unhappy with me and not willing to show it. But I didn't believe that. He had helped me wash my hair and worried over me like he really cared, not like he was pretending.

My holo-rib chirped: my madre. I picked it, resolving not to cry.

"Hello?"

"Was he at home? Or do we need to send out a manhunt?"

"Non, he's...Papa said that he's going back into cryo."

There was a long pause.

"Madre?"

"Cryo?" she repeated.

I told her what my papa had told me, though I could hear her shake her head.

"That doesn't make any sense," she said finally. "Levi is head over heels for you, he wouldn't throw that all away."

"But it's for the base," I protested. "I understand that..."

"Are you crazy? Screw the base; he loves you, Dylan!"

I had never heard my madre talk like that and didn't know how to respond.

"I'm going to talk with your papa, and get some real answers. I know you'll argue with me, but Dylan, you should rest. It's been a long day and I doubt tomorrow is going to be any more restful."

"But..."

"Go to bed," she ordered. "I'll be by in the morning."

My madre disconnected the call. Slowly, reluctantly, I rose from my seat, pulling my way towards my bed. Then, I spun around and ran into the other bedroom, the one we had shared, collapsing on the bed with a sob.

___

Welp, we have someone lying, don't we? Thanks for voting!