Chapter 10: science!

After depositing the disc player in our berth, we wandered the halls a little, trying to give Levi better bearings. I could admit that this place was complicated and I had lived here my whole life. Levi peered into any window we passed, but I realized that he was looking for more agriculture and so took a detour down the correct arm.

The very next window was filled with flowers and Levi's freckled face lit up with wonder as he peered at all the colors. I tried to imagine what it would be like to see flowers for the first time in my life. To me, they were just flowers. We couldn't eat them; they were here for genetic variance and because our ancestors had brought along thousands of plants.

"We can go in, you know," I told him.

"I don't want to get you into trouble," he replied.

"We're not going to get into any trouble so long as we don't step on any blossoms," I answered, offering my hand. "Come on,"

He took my hand in his and I pulled him to the door, typing Alcott's code into the door. By some chance, Anatoly was examining a rose and glanced up to see the two of us. I couldn't tell if she was upset or not.

"My fault again, I'm afraid," Levi told her. "I just can't help myself; it's all so beautiful."

"I have been looking for an apprentice, you know," Anatoly remarked. "Once you're free, you should apply. I can't think of anyone more enthusiastic than you and I've only met you twice. What did you do on the Aeneid?"

"I was historian," he replied, a little shyly. "I was in charge of reports to Earth and documenting our journey and our data."

"Perfect," she said. "Attention to detail will get you a long way. Having illicit codes doesn't hurt either."

Anatoly was the first person who seemed to take Levi's occupation in stride. I wished my family had reacted better, but I had been brought up to believe that practical, mundane things were the most important. Perhaps that was not the case at all.

"I would like that," Levi said cautiously. "Though I haven't seen any other career options here; I may want a day or two to decide. This strikes me as a lifetime appointment, yes?"

Anatoly laughed and then nodded her head. "Indeed. Though Levi, I will be heartbroken if you don't at least apply. I couldn't bear the thought of medical stealing you away."

She glanced back down at her rose. "Feel free to look around. Look but don't touch, some of the plants are very sensitive."

"I promise not to hurt their feelings," he answered and pulled me down the small path.

I hadn't realized that our hands were still clasped, but Levi made no attempt to release me as he peered at the various flowers.

"I don't know all their names," he remarked. "It's weird, not knowing. Anatoly, is there a catalog or something?"

The older woman laughed again. "I knew I liked you. We're working on one; some of these plants haven't been seen since Earth and now that they have been spliced, look a bit different. My apprentice would be in charge of the new catalog."

Levi gave her a nod and a smile and we continued through the small red blossoms into an area with various types of roses.

"Did you apprentice with your father?" Levi asked

"I'm still his apprentice," I replied. "I didn't get a choice; Papa turned down all of the candidates. And someone has to be in charge of the scrubbers."

"What would you want to do if you weren't working with your father?" Levi pressed.

"I don't think about it," I lied. It was an easy lie, one I told to most people. There was no use in dwelling on how I wished I got to spend my time. And I didn't mind my work; it was important, and when my father retired, I would have a say in our government and base planning.