Chapter 16

1940s

My body feels like a million volts of electricity Sr running through them, though it would not hurt me. It feels like the pain I experience when near pure kryptonite. Painful.

Jezebel!  Voices shout in the background as my body jolts upwards without consent. Something feels wrong and it feels like my body is trying to fix it to normal, fighting back at the difference.

I can't control my movements. My body like a puppet as my powers fight to be controlled. Something wells up in my chest and I feel my body rise, still in its flat state. My arms hang downwards limb and a shooting pain wells in my chest, making me feel like something close to me has died.

My ties are breaking from krypton. The plants going to die very soon. Not like a few days but maybe a decade, to protect me from the fierce pain when it happens, it breaks it early.

I let out a scream, and it echos along the room. I hear hands getting slapped into ears and my body shakes uncontrollably. I fall back into something... a table and it crashes as I do so. The shock wave started this early and I am both happy and not happy.

It takes away pain from later but I'm probably scaring everyone in nearby rooms so that's a downside.

I grab onto something nearby and I feel that it's a seat made of wood. I'm in the dining quarters. My hand squeezes it and the wood breaks beneath my fingers and I hear multiple people gasp as I do it like I am breaking open a package of flour.

Suddenly it feels like I'm being sucked back into my body and I jolt upwards as I know I've been handed over control of my body. I stand stock still and then slowly open my eyes blinking out the scenery in front of me and I noticed I have gained the attention of everyone.

"Jezebel?" A soft voice calls and I look over to see Steve standing in front of Peggy protectively and she's looking over his shoulder at me. A flash of guilt finds its way into my body and I open my mouth only to have no words emerge to make the scene any better.  I look around me as soldiers stand as far as they can with fear in their eyes. "Jezebel." She calls again and we lock eyes. The small amount, I mean very minimal admit off distrust in her eyes sets me off. I stumble backwards, soldiers scramble to get out of my way. Tears fill my eyes.

"I-I." I stumble over words and my own feet. "I need to go before I hurt someone." I trip over my feet as my eyes were blurred with tears.

"You're but going to hurt anyone." Her soft voice speaks.

"You don't know that. I'm a monster." My voice shakes. "I'm the monster off everyone's dreams!"

"You're not a monster and you're not going to hurt anyone." I gaze up, pushing myself from the floor treaty eyed.

"Then why are you hiding behind Steve?" My voice cracks. "Why is everyone liking at me in fear? Monsters are looked at in fear, monsters are different and I'm different. I'm not normal. I'm a breed of alien! I was born more than two and a half million light years away. My planet is dying and I killed my own brother. That is not normal."

"We're all not normal." Peggy steps from behind Steve and he pulls her back and that starts another round of teary eyes.

"You don't have powers, Peggy. You don't have the fate of the world on your hands. Don't have the weight of saving all the last hopes of krypton. Consider yourself normal and not a monster Peggy. But you don't have to see the ones you live and care about look at you with fear and distrust. I may have called myself a monster earlier, but I'm much worse."

My body rises up into the air and turn to leave.

"Sergeant Winters." Colonel Phillips' commanding voice calls to me. I turn back and slowly hover over to him, landing on my feet in front of him. His eyes holds knowledge and a sliver of fear for the unknown.