Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Night To Remember

'And now presenting District Twelve's very own Victor of the 50th Annual Hunger Games, winner of the second Quarter Quell... HAYMITCH ABERNATHY!'

The ecstatic crowd cheers with extreme enthusiasm as Haymitch walks meekly onto the make-shift stage in the city square, pausing to wave feebly here and there. The place has been decorated especially for his arrival. Everywhere he turns there are streamers and balloons, banners and cakes, all in bright, elaborate colours and designs. The signs read joyful phrases such as 'WELCOME HOME!' 'CONGRATULATIONS!' or 'WAY TO GO, HAYMITCH!'

The people of District Twelve are in a state of utter jubilee. They have only had two Victors before him - one of which he is sure is dead - so he can imagine how everybody feels about someone like him, someone from the Seam, finally winning not only the Games, but a rare Quarter Quell too.

Throughout this past week people have been congratulating him, asking for his autograph, and randomly hugging him. Elderly women begin to sob joyfully when they meet his eye, fathers either pat his back or ruffle his hair, mothers smile knowingly and give him warm hugs, children climb on his back and hold his hands. Indeed, he is definitely not used to any of this attention. He wishes things would go back to normal and he would once again be the young boy from the Seam, ignored by all.

But the worst type of attention he is getting, at least the most uncomfortable kind, is from the girls. He cannot walk past a group of them without hearing giggles or seeing them blush madly. He can't rest at night without worrying about them trying to break into his new home in the Victor's Village. Girls used to think of him as attractive before, but now, their treatment of him is absolutely insane. He broke many hearts when he had announced that he and Nemit are a couple, although many of the girls already knew that. He tries to ignore them all. Certainly he doesn't enjoy their shenanigans and he most definitely doesn't want to upset Nemit in anyway, but she doesn't seem to mind, really. Actually, she thinks of the whole situation as rather funny, which is quite a relief to him.

Something rather strange, well, stranger than usual, happened a few days ago. He had just walked through the door of his new home in the Victor's Village when he heard the Capitol accent of Dolly Lomberson, his boorish escort, floating down the stair steps. She had been using his telephone. He paid no attention to the conversation though; Dolly is always over to use his phone these days. But he just couldn't help eavesdropping when he heard his name being tossed around along with the sound of tinkling laughter.

'Oh, yes, well... Haymitch is quite the dish, now isn't he?' He could almost see the smug, suppressed smile on Dolly's face.

'I mean, have you seen those arms? I've been trying to get his attention for weeks!' She giggled girlishly.

'Yes, well, apparently there is someone... You should see her, though! She's so gaunt and unkempt! I don't think Haymitch realizes that he can have anyone he wants...'

'Yes, about that. President Snow requested a meeting with me to discuss it... Haymitch has been the most requested Victor out there, you know. Winner of the Quarter Quell and all... But we were never expecting thousands of women to place orders... That's right, thousands!'

'I'm a lucky girl. Being Haymitch's escort and all, the President himself told me that he would reserve the very first spot with him just for me. And half price too! I know! You're going to have to call in now if you want your time to be a reasonable amount.'

'I'm not sure if he would be up to it though. He's got such strong morals... Well, it's not like he'll have much of a choice though, is it?' She laughed again.