Epilogue: Seven Months Later

"You will write, Catherine? Do you promise?"

"Of course I will. I will write to you as often as possible; I am determined neither of us should miss out on a single moment in each other's lives, even though we shall be apart!"

Catherine and Bessie were stood on the driveway outside Catherine's new Cheshire home, making their farewells. It had been lovely having Bessie to stay for the past month – she had journeyed directly back to Cheshire with Catherine and Professor Lawes following their wedding, and it had been extremely comforting for Catherine having a little piece of home life with her as she transitioned into her new one. But now the time had finally come for Bessie to return to Donbroke, and for Catherine to begin the new chapter of her life as Mrs Catherine Lawes.

As the sisters embraced, Catherine was reminded vividly of the almost identical conversation which had taken place between them just over a year ago when Catherine had ventured on her journey to Somerset, and she marvelled at how much could change in a year. Back then it had been a tearful farewell between two sisters who felt unable to function without one another; but during the past year, each had grown to become a stronger, more independent person.

It saddened Catherine to admit it, but Professor Lawes had been right: Bessie did not need Catherine as much as she had liked to think. On leaving Warwick a year ago Catherine had felt extremely guilty for leaving Bessie behind – when in fact that turned out to be the very best thing Catherine could have done for her little sister. Independence had been what Bessie craved, and Catherine, too caught up in trying to protect a vulnerable little girl, had not seen that she herself was in fact hindering Bessie's opportunity to grow.

Over the past year Bessie had remained true to her word, focusing her attention on her artistic pursuits with a newfound drive and determination, finding that with hard work her talent for drawing far surpassed anything she had expected. Delighted to see their daughter so happy, Mr and Mrs Taylor had arranged for a drawing master to visit the house once a week, and the results – both in Bessie's artistic ability and state of happiness – was astounding. The drawing master had even offered to introduce Bessie to one of the other girls he taught, offering her the prospect of a friend her own age for the first time in her life.

Catherine had not known it at the time, but the weight of responsibility for Bessie was a heavy burden on her shoulders. To know now that her sister was perfectly able to cope without her, therefore, was a great relief. Although it was hard to admit that she was no longer needed, being assured of Bessie's contentedness had put an end to Catherine's guilt for neglecting her sister, allowing her to freely enjoy what had been the best few months of her life.

The weeks leading up to the wedding were indeed the most exciting, chaotic and terrifying weeks Catherine had ever known. It had seemed an age away at first, as Professor Lawes first had his sister's wedding to arrange before turning his attention to his own – but before Catherine knew it, her own big day had arrived. As she stood at the altar in her brand new wedding gown beside the man she loved, Catherine felt more blissfully at ease than she could ever remember being. To have her entire family gathered in her local church completed the occasion; it was a final chance to revel in her old life before journeying to Cheshire to begin her new one.

It had certainly been a busy few months for weddings; not long after Catherine's betrothal, the news had come that there was indeed to be a union between William and Miss Russell, due to take place in a few months' time. Catherine still did not agree with William's marrying her, as in Catherine's opinion Miss Russell certainly was not worthy of such a generous, kind-hearted husband – but William seemed adamant in his choice of wife, so nothing Catherine or anyone else said would be likely to change his mind now.