Two

During luncheon it was announced that a letter had arrived from Wyndham Hall inviting Sir Cavendish and his family to dinner the very next evening, if they were not too fatigued from their journey. Admittedly, Catherine did not feel at her most energetic, but insisted that she was perfectly well enough to attend. A reply was promptly sent, and Catherine found that her eagerness to become acquainted with the various members of Barnbury society more than overcame any tiredness she might be feeling. Lady Russell's letter mentioned that the invitation had also been extended to Mr and Mrs Wilmot and Professor Lawes, so the evening was set to be an interesting one.

Julia and Catherine spent the next day wandering around the grounds of Broxcliffe Park, before returning to the house eager to get ready for the dinner that evening. Catherine found that her cousin was almost looking forward to the occasion as much as she was; as Julia was only recently out in society, the invitations to dine at Wyndham Hall had often only included Julia's parents and William, and she, like Catherine, very much wanted to become acquainted with Miss Eleanor Russell. The cousins giggled excitedly as they made their way upstairs to their respective bedchambers, where their ladies' maids would help them dress.

Catherine's maid during her stay was a young girl named Nancy, who was already in the guest bedchamber choosing a dress for Catherine to wear.

"Good evening, Miss Taylor," she greeted her, turning away from the armoire so that she could curtsey politely. "I have selected a couple of gowns which I thought might be appropriate for the dinner. What does milady think?"

Catherine wandered over to the bed, where a couple of her gowns had been neatly laid. The white satin gown with capped sleeves instantly caught her attention; it was one of her favourites.

"I think I shall wear this one," she told Nancy, taking hold of it.

"Very well, milady," her maid replied, beginning to help her dress. "Would you like me to style your hair as well?"

"Oh, yes please. You may do what you wish with it – I shall leave it in your capable hands!"

"Very well, milady," said Nancy nervously.

Nancy needn't have worried; once the skilled maid's work was completed, Catherine gazed at her reflection in the looking glass and gasped with delight. Nancy had deftly styled her chestnut locks into a complicated twist, leaving a few curls around her forehead and nape of her neck. For the finishing touch Catherine selected a coral necklace from her jewellery box which Nancy fastened for her, before standing back and surveying her mistress approvingly.

"You look beautiful, milady – simply beautiful."

"Thank you, Nancy! You are very skilled indeed!"

Catherine greeted Julia in the hallway, also looking glowingly beautiful in a pale green gown with slightly frilled sleeves. They both gushingly admired each other's appearances for a few moments, before descending to the hall to await the carriage with the rest of the family, who were already assembled. As the carriage drew up outside and the ladies were helped in, Catherine could hardly contain her excitement. She was on her way to dine with a Viscount and his family! What tales she would have to tell her family when she returned home! Catherine decided that she would make sure to enjoy every second as much as possible, and remember all the details so that she could recount them to Bessie.

Having thought Broxcliffe Park rather grand, Catherine felt completely overwhelmed by the palace that was Wyndham Hall. The majestic, Tudor-style building was unlike anything she had ever seen before, and she found herself smoothing her skirts nervously. They were helped out of the carriage by footmen in finer uniforms than even those at Broxcliffe Park, and as Catherine ascended the steps towards the front door alongside her cousins she felt an apprehensive excitement simmering away in her stomach. She was at once eager and reluctant to meet the Viscount and his family, and felt quite aflutter with all the confusion in her mind, barely noticing the grandeur of the entrance hall as they were led along to the drawing room.