Chapter 29

Another month passed. I kept waiting for Jimmy to pop the question again, since I was assuming the question he was going to pop was the question, but it never came. In quiet moments when we were alone, my heartbeat would quicken and I'd wonder if this would be it - the proposal. But so far, he hadn't asked.

I didn't let it get to me too much. Our relationship was still perfect. We were golden, never fighting, never angry with each other. We were the perfect team - the actual human sunshine and the nervous musical wreck - and together we made something beautiful.

On his birthday, I surprised him with a goldfish and a new guitar. He named the fish Jerry Frick and put him up high enough where Gary couldn't get any ideas (or at least couldn't act on them). The guitar, bright red and vintage, was given the name Chuck and resided happily beside Jimmy's bed (when he wasn't playing it like a boss, that is).

October whistled in like a perfect autumn storm. The cool weather and pumpkin spice frenzy made my heart happy, as did my Halloween plans. Jimmy and I decided to spend the holiday together (of course), but not just in our apartments - we would be going out.

"Let me see it!" cried Jimmy. I adjusted my mask one last time.

"Okay - you ready?"

"Yes!!" he shouted impatiently. I laughed and swung open the bathroom door.

"Ta da!!"

"Ohhhh!!" squealed Jimmy, covering his mouth. "You are the most adorable Robin ever!"

"And you are the most snazzy Batman," I grinned, barely recognizing him in all black. We grabbed two large tins of candy and headed out. In full disguise, we were going to give candy to everybody we came in contact with - Batman and Robin, the coolest kids around.

I'd decided to go with a guy Robin costume in the end. All of the ones made for women that I could find would've made me look like I was giving out more than candy. Why can't Halloween costume companies make women's costumes that aren't so freaking raunchy? Agh.

"Does it look strange?" I asked Jimmy as we took the elevator down.

"Does what look strange?" he asked in a gruff Batman voice. I busted out in laughter.

"My costume," I choked between laughs, "I'm wearing a men's Robin costume, but my hair is in a french braid. Is that weird?"

"Weird? Pfffft," he said in his normal voice, "nah."

"Am I recognizable?"

He shrugged. "I'm not, so even if you are, we're fine. Plus," he added, "Higgins is going to say him and I hung out for Halloween if anybody asks."

I nodded. "Okay."

"Now, Robin," Jimmy said, switching to his Batman voice, "let's go deliver candy to Gotham's citizens!"

We left the elevator and headed off into the bustling city, scooping out handfuls of candy and giving them to anyone who would take it. "Holy doppelgänger, Batman!" I cried, pointing at two costumed kids. "It's us!"

The kids stopped in their tracks, grinning shyly. Their mother was beaming. Jimmy gave them some candy. "Happy Halloween, little me," he grumbled, smiling in his mask.

"What do you boys say?" chirped the mother.

"Thank you," they chimed.