Chapter 26

My hands were shaking. "I just got a call from Adam!" I practically screamed into the phone. Salt jumped, almost losing her footing on the concrete. Jimmy laughed on the other end.

"Somebody's excited!" he exclaimed. "What did he say?"

"He got in contact with a certain band's agent," I whispered, "and we're going on tour together starting in May!! Isn't this rad?!"

"Sounds pretty rad!" cried Jimmy. "Except...which band are we talking about?"

"I can't say," I replied nonchalantly. "I'm out taking Salt for a walk. People might hear."

"Ah," he said. "I'll guess then. You sound pretty ecstatic...is it Owl City?"

"No," I smiled. "Good guess, but Adam Young is already on tour then."

"Okay...hmm...The Monkees?"

I cackled. "I wish!"

"Is it.....oh I've got it!" he snapped his fingers. "David Bowie!"

I laughed. "Noooo! But again, I wish!"

"Alright, alright...uh....."

"Do you want a hint?"

"No! Yes! Maybe!" he cried. "No! Okay fine, yes!"

"Okay!" I laughed. "Uh....two guys.....multiple genres.....totally awesome.....?"

"...twenty one pilots?"

"Ding ding ding!" I cried. "Isn't that great?!"

"Totally great!" he shouted. "That's so awesome. I'm so excited for you. But wait - did you just say you're taking your cat for a walk?"

"Yeah," I chuckled, and then added jokingly, "Problem?"

He laughed. "Only that I didn't get invited."

"Well, hey, bring that adorable dog of yours next time and we'll walk our domesticated creatures together. This fall air is just what I needed."

"September got here quick, didn't it?" said Jimmy. "And I'd love to bring good ol Gary, but people would talk - and our pets might totally hate each other, sooooo...."

"Pfft nah they'd be best friends."

"How do you know?"

"How could they not be?"

"Hate to break it to you, but my dog is just way cooler than your cat, Quinn," said Jimmy. "Sorry not sorry."

I gasped. "You take that back right now!"

"I will not!" he shouted.

"Well....you're just...."

"I'm just what?"

"You're just...you're just a total jerk and your dog smells and you're not even that hot."

"What?!"

"No, not really. On a scale of 1 to 10 you're not even a 12. Just an 11."

"Rude."

"Sorry not sorry," I quoted. He laughed. "In all honesty, though, you're a babe and I can't wait to see you later."

"Same to you, beautiful," he chuckled, kissing the air. "That was for you!"

"Aww," I giggled. "Alright, see you!"

"Mm-hmm," he hummed. "I love you!" Click.

Salt meowed and I glanced down at her. "How are you enjoying yourself this morning, Salt?" I asked. She said nothing. I took it to mean she was quite pleased.

We were almost back at the apartment when I dropped my bag. "Oops," I muttered, reaching down to get it. When I got back up, I was face-to-face with a wide eyed stranger.

"Whoa," I laughed. "Sorry dude, I didn't see you there!"

She was about sixteen years old, with blonde hair and a Tonight Show t-shirt, and she wouldn't stop staring at me. Her breath had become ragged, her hands beginning to shake. "You alright?" I asked. Salt was unamused by the whole situation.

"You're - you're Natasha Quinn!"

Oh yeah. I forgot about the whole fame thing again.

"Yeah, I am," I chuckled. "What's your name?"

"You're - you're in love with Jimmy Fallon!"

What?

"Uh..."

"Don't even deny it!" she cried, laughing hysterically, "I know you are!"

"Uh....do you want me to sign something, or - ?"

"I am getting on tumblr right now! This is so cool! Take a selfie with me!"

"Okay - uh," SNAP!

"Aw, this is perfect! I just can't right now! Can I hug you?"

"Uh, sure - oomph." She squeezed the life out of me then scurried away, dialing a number on her phone.

"I JUST MET HALF OF JIMTASHA AND I'M DEAD THEY ARE SO IN LOVE I COULD SEE IT ON HER FACE."

I stared after the girl until she was out of sight. Salt still didn't look amused. I shrugged it off and went back home, eager to tell Jimmy about the strange encounter later. We'd created a monster - or, at least, a whole army of monsters - with our fanfiction. We were far more tumblr famous than I'd ever planned us to be.

Getting online proved my fears. People were reblogging the crap out of the girl's story & selfie of our meeting, and she actually got it down word-for-word with no exaggeration at all. I was impressed by that. People were messaging the post to me, asking if I'd seen it. "Your fanfic told the future!" some said. "Your story is so accurate!" others doted. I scrolled through them all, unsure whether I should feel scared or satisfied.

Jimmy waltzed in after work with a rose and a smile that could rival Gatsby's. I greeted him with a kiss on the cheek, but he could see I was distant. "So what's this about you meeting a fan?" he asked.

"You've been on tumblr?" I asked.

"Yeah," he replied. "I don't know if I'm terrified or super happy."

"That's exactly what I was going to say!" I said, smelling the flower.

"Well, let's just forget about it for now," he suggested, taking my free hand in his. "There's no need to jump to conclusions." He grinned. "Plus, I've got us reservations at a five star restaurant, so...."

"What?" I cried. "Really?"

He smiled. "Really. Go put on something nice and meet me at The Four Seasons at six."

"What about the press - ?"

"We have a private room."

"How - ?"

He waved his hand. "I know a guy. Now go on - get ready. I can't wait to see you later."

I giggled and pulled him in, deciding now would be the best moment for our second french kiss. He melted in my arms, sighing as we broke off. He tried to kiss me back and I softly put my finger on his lips. "Okay, that was cruel," he muttered, face red and eyes smiling.

"Later," I said softly. He grinned and turned on his heel, leaving the smell of his cologne in the air even after he was gone.

I collapsed onto the floor. Little paws approached me, a confused cat face looming over my eyes. "Salt," I said, humor in my voice, "I think I just died."