Seven

SEVEN: MY ONLY HOPE

AUGUST 4, 2009 10:47 AM

"You should see the look in your face." She was laughing. She must have been joking right? "So tell me, anachronism. When'd you come back?" She's serious. Damn. How'd she know? Impossible.

"Okay. I didn't mean to freak you out or anything. My family knows about these kinds of things. Not just time travelling, but a whole bunch of things mundanes wouldn't understand. So, I know an anachronism when I see one. And sorry to hurt your ego, but you're not the only one. I've seen a couple in this town. The others had gone back, but there are those who are still here. Stuck. Like you."

"Wait.. So it's possible. I could go back, right? Because I seriously want to go back right now." I never in a million years thought I would say this. "Please, Myla. Help me."

"Wow. Rianelle Margarette Santiago just begged for my help. I could seriously, like add this to my resume." She said mockingly.

I tried my best not to scoff. She's my only hope right now, so I better not mess this up. "Please. You have to help me. I'm so done with high school, I'm so done with everything in my past. I can't be stuck here. I can't go through that again! Please, Myla. I know you hate me and all that, but just this one time. Help me."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh please, Ria. Give me a break. High School was your kingdom. Everyone looks up to you like you're their queen. Don't give me that "I hate high school" BS of yours. You loved every moment of your rule."

Of course, she would think that. My sixteen year old self might think that, too but not me. I think High School is full of shit. It's when the only thing that mattered in my life was popularity, grades, and all things that don't really matter. But she wouldn't understand that so I just said, "Please, Myla."

"As much as I enjoy seeing you beg, I can't help you."

"Why? Do you hate me that much? I can't be stuck here. I have a life. A JOB for crying out loud. And I already told you, I don't want to relive high school!"

"Ria, Ria. You don't really watch that many movies don't you? Haven't you seen Freaky Friday? Or It's a Boy Girl Thing?" I shook my head in response. "I can't help you because only you can fix this. Its not something anyone else can help you with." She paused, as if thinking about something else to add and then sighed. "I can give you a bit of an input, though."

Thank God. "I'm all ears."

"Okay. So, I'm not very familiar with the process of how to go back. What I know is that most people who get sent back in time have "unresolved issues" in the past. They get sent here because of, you know, closure. You have to figure out how to get that closure and then that's the time it will be possible to go back. The "how" is what's really unclear for me."

Okay, unresolved issues. I think I could figure that out. I guess.

"Also, you have to bring your token when you come back so it's imperative that you don't lose it."

"What token?" What the fuck is this? An arcade game? Token?

"It depends. It's different for everyone. It's the one thing you have that came from the future."

The locket. The one Jane gave to me on my birthday. Shit. I remember having it the first day I came back but I don't remember where I had put it. If I have to turn the house up side down, I will. I have to find the thing.

"What if I don't figure out this "unresolved issue" and I wasn't able to create closure. What happens?" I'm afraid I already know the answer but I still want to hear it from her.

"Then you're stuck. You move forward, but when you reach that time again. That specific date and time when you went back, the cycle will go on. You will be sent here again and again and again."

Again and again. I don't think I like that phrase. I have to do my absolute best to fix this, I don't want to be stuck in a cycle forever. "Okay. Thank you, Myla. I have been trying to learn anything about this for weeks and I had no lead, not until now. Thank you. I know, we had our differences so I really appreciate you helping me out."

She smiled genuinely and I suddenly forgot all these beef between us. Maybe this time we could be friends. "Don't thank me just yet, you're still here right?"

"But how can I thank you if I'm already back?"

"Then thank me in the future. This will be a part of my memory if you go back, don't worry."

Wow. So whatever I do here will really alter my future. "Okay. I'll keep that in mind."

She nodded and then the bell rang. Break time's over. She started to walk towards the classroom leaving me behind, but then she looked back and paused. "Hey, Ms. SC President. Another thing. So if you're back from a time when you already have a job, then you already know who will be class valedictorian? Tell me. Is it me or you? Because if it's you, I plan on changing the future."

I smirked. She'll never know.