What Happens Next?

2014
Hayley and Nick walked down the empty sidewalk of the park. Both kicked up leaves as they slowly moved along. Neither of them could find the courage to speak. Instead, they exchanged a few shy glances. Finally, Hayley spoke up. "What does this mean for us now?" She asked. Nick turned to look at her. He didn't know what to say. He ran a hand through his dark hair. "I guess that means we're a thing..." He said. "But I don't really want to do this until we get to know each other. See if this will work." Hayley nodded in agreement. "You know," Nick continued. "you are a very good kisser." Hayley blushed and laughed. "How about we do this: you and I date. Then we'll really get to know each other." Hayley suggested. It was Nick's turn to laugh. "That sounds good to me." He replied. The two kissed again. Hayley pulled away, her arms still around his neck. "You're a good kisser, too." She whispered in his ear. At the house, everyone was patiently waiting to show Hayley what Kayla and Alex found. It was a message from the people who had put them there. And only Hayley knew the password. As the two walked into the house, Carlie ran to greet them at the door. "Wow. I've never seen you all so happy to see me." She teased. She threw her coat on her couch and entered the room. "Hayley, these guys say you know the password." Kayla filled her in. She looked at the spaces. Eight characters. She typed in the password she used for everything. The file opened. "Hello." An unfamiliar voice said. "I know you're wondering where everyone went. My apologies, but, for now, that is classified. All you need to know is that you have a mission. That is to face all the challenges we present you with. But before we get into that, I'd like to give you a little background information about yourselves." He went on. Someone gasped. "You see, you were all destined to be together. Your lives were intertwined before you ever even thought you'd meet each other. You were randomly selected for a genetic modification by us. Ever since, anything and everything that's ever happened to you has happened for a reason. To bring you close. Now, along with that, you get a few things that were recently activated by our bomb. Things like eternal life, no aging, exceptional qualities, unique to you. Now, it's your duty to recognize those qualities. Also, someone standing in this room is your soul mate. Good luck, and never give up." And it was over. Everyone stared in confusion. Then, it hit Kayla. "I think Hayley put us together the way we did because... That's who we are meant to be with." She said. "No way!" Hayley objected. "I had no idea." Kayla shook her head. "You didn't do it on purpose. They were doing to it to you. Or something in these genetic modifications told you." She explained. Everyone nodded. "Whatever happened, at least we have one thing solved." Hayley announced. Then she looked at Hallie strange. "Did you seriously have to say that?!" Hallie looked confused. "I didn't say anything." She replied defensively. Hayley shook her head. "No, you defiantly said something. Wait, Nick. Think about something." She ordered. "Aww thanks." She blushed. "Are you a mind reader?" Carlie asked. "Seems as though I am. Now stop thinking about that, it's making me want to cry." Carlie scowled. "Kayla, I swear to God." Everyone was thinking about what the other could've possibly been thinking. Meanwhile, Hallie went to get snacks. She couldn't reach the top, so she jumped. She ended up flying up to the roof and hitting her head. "Ow! How did I do that?" She yelled. "Oh my gosh, you can fly Hallie!" Rosalyn yelled. Everyone was amazed. They all wondered what their qualities were. But the biggest question on everybody's mind was: what happens next?