Chapter Twenty-Eight - Nicholas Finally Gets His Way

Start from the beginning

Weeks, it had been weeks, and still no fucking word from Levina. At this point he would resume the hunt himself. His patience had long since run out.

Puffing out a circle of smoke he watched the wispy curls drift towards the ceiling. He was too far on edge. It was dangerous. He needed the kill, now.

A knock sounded at his door. Leaning his head back he grunted, "What Jasper?"

Jasper's incorporeal head poked through the door. "It creeps me out when you do that."

Nicholas shrugged. "It creeps me out when you stick your head through my fucking door."

"Touché. May I come in?"

Nicholas swung his legs around and stood up, snuffing out his cigar in an ashtray. "Whatever."

Entering the room Jasper peered around, scrunching up his nose. "Really, Nicholas, one of Mia's personal guards?"

Smirking Nicholas pulled on a pair of pants. "She hit on me, man."

"Uh huh." Crossing his arms Jasper leaned back against the door. "It's unwise, with Queen Victoria's coronation so close."

That damn coronation. Nicholas had never seen so many elves. The castle was being overrun with them. The Legion had been raiding the lesser demon clans, forcing King Sebastian to remain in constant contact with the clan leaders. The attacks meant planning the ceremony from the elven realm, Alfheimr, impossible. "Did you come here to lecture me?"

"No. Damian Lockhart asked me to speak with you."

Raising a brow Nicholas poured himself a glass of brandy. "Why didn't he come himself?"

"He's off realm. Apparently his sister, Alexandria, has been captured by a horde of Lord Ivan's fiery demons."

His back stiffened. "What the fuck would Ivan want with a Forsaken?"

Jasper shrugged. "Don't know. The Lockhart's are trying to get her back, but there's some sort of complication-."

"And they want me." Nicholas finished for him.

"Yes."

Shaking his head Nicholas slashed his hand through the air. "I can't, not now. You know that."

Jasper ran a hand over one of his horns in agitation. "Nicholas, the werewolf can wait. This is life and death."

"I'm close, Jasper. This Alexandria is very probably dead already."

"She's not, Charles is sure of it," Jasper insisted.

"Oh, and how is that? Let me guess, a certain mystic told him?"

"A seer actually."

Nicholas gave a harsh laugh. "Close enough. You know, I'm getting real sick of all this mystical shit."

"Will you at least listen?"

His jaw ticked. He could not be swayed, not now. "I know the Lockhart's are family to you, but Victoria is family to me. And my king, our king, gave me an order."

"Nick," Jasper pleaded.

"If you wish to save her so badly than you go!" Nicholas snarled, his patience gone.

Jasper winced, his face paling. "You know I can't..."

Guilt assaulted him immediately. Nicholas was well aware of Jasper's past. He knew how difficult it would be for the spectral demon to face Lord Ivan. "I'm on edge, Jaz," he explained.

"I know." Wiping a hand over his mouth Jasper walked over to the edge of the bed and sat down. "I want to go. I wish I could. But I just can't. If he's there...That time we saved Victoria from Vincent, the way Ivan looked at me..." Jasper shuddered, rubbing a hand over his throat. "I didn't know he would be there. Those fucking eyes of his, ice cold. I felt like I was back in that fucking hell hole with that damn collar all over again."

"Charles would never let that happen," Nicholas reassured him. "And neither would I."

"My mind knows it. My body doesn't always listen." Jasper shook his head. "I'd be more than useless." Glancing up the spectral demon stared at Nicholas intently. "How did you do it? How did you overcome being tossed into the pits?"

His face turned hard. "Who's to say I did?"

Jasper chuckled. "Well aren't we all a pair?" Standing he took a deep breath. "It would mean a lot to me, Nick."

"Alright," he relented. "After I find the wolf."

"Fair enough." Heading for the door Jasper paused, tapping his chin. "That reminds me, Levina is hear to speak with you."

Nicholas snarled, the glass shattering in his hand. "What the fuck, Jasper!? Why didn't you tell me?"

Jasper shrugged with a grin. "Forgot."

"You prick!" Nicholas stormed past him. "I could kill you."

Jasper laughed, turning incorporeal. "You could try," he teased, before phasing.

AN: I named the elven realm Alfheimr from the Old Norse word for...well the elven world, lol. If you have any other suggestions let me know in the comments!