Chapter 11: It's Not NEARLY Over

Start from the beginning

Rylan stares at the stairs for a few seconds, troubled. She'll just have to take it slow. Rylan grasps the railing, mentally preparing herself for how much ascending the stairs will strain her body. When she's convinced she won't fall, she makes her way down. Rylan meets her father at the breakfast table, eating toast and reading the newspaper. He glances up as she enters the kitchen.

"Hey, honey. Did you sleep ok? After the nightmare, I mean." He asks, concerned.

Rylan nods. "I slept fine. No more nightmares."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really. I'm just going to get something to eat and head off to school." Rylan fakes a smile before disappearing into the kitchen to grab some chocolate poptarts.

Mr. Winchester notices her tense posture. "You sore?"

"I think I may have pulled a muscle carrying my bag yesterday." The lie slips off Rylan's tongue like she has rehearsed it, surprising even herself.

"You should be more careful."

"I will."

She reaches school thirty minutes early. Students litter the front lawn in their usual cliques. Rylan sighs. She understands now why so many kids hate school: early mornings, grueling hours, tons of homework, and bullies. Not everyone has to deal with them, but Rylan sympathizes with those who do. She really hopes Blake, Tyler, and Liam don't show up. Rylan pulls out her cell phone, about to call Dani, when a voice calls out.

"Rylan! Over here! Hey, Rylan!"

Rylan turns to see Tuck waving his arms frantically by one of the large oak trees next to the school.

She walks over to him and discovers Dani leaning against the tree next to him.

"Hey." Dani says. "We weren't sure whether you'd show up, but I wanted to get here early just in case."

Rylan glances around for the familiar black hair, but comes up empty. "Where's Cas?"

Dani bites her lip and looks at Tuck. Tuck shrugs and Dani tries to brush it off. "He probably slept in or something."

"Are you saying you don't know?" Rylan's voice comes out somewhat panicked. She suddenly wonders if Cas has gone to the police.

Tuck jumps in. "No. We're saying that Cas isn't at school. For all we know, he's at home. He has thirty minutes before the bell rings, Rylan."

Rylan takes slow, deep breaths. Tuck is right. She is overreacting. There is no need to panic. They wait, but Cas doesn't show up before the bell. Rylan, Dani, and Tuck have no choice but to go to homeroom. Rylan worries all through first period and her anxiety only gets worse during third period.

"Miss Winchester, I'd like to see you after class." Mr. Quinn says the second she trudges through the door.

The stress of her day begins to bear down heavily. Rylan has to sit through the entire class period wondering what Mr. Quinn could possibly want to see her about. She nervously taps her fingers on the desk until Dani snatches her hand off the table and squeezes it to try to calm Rylan down. A minute before the bell rings, Rylan feels like throwing up. Everyone will get to leave, except her.

The bell rings. "Will you wait for me?" Rylan asks Dani.

"Of course. You're barely allowed to leave my sight, Rylan."

All around them, kids scuffle and hurry off to lunch.

Dani gives her an encouraging smile. "I'll be right outside."