Chapter Fifteen - Upsetting

Chapter Fifteen – Upsetting  

This week was Orientation week and all the different clubs and societies were showcasing their achievements in order to woo new members. The corridors and the halls and basically everywhere with space was filled with the clubs’ booths. It was like a mini carnival in school. There were games – the archery club set up a mini shooting range, performances – Kat’s dance club had a dance-off right on top of the canteen tables the other day and plenty of food.

The culinary club were selling an assortment of pastries at very very low prices. There were apple strudel, chocolate mousse, caramel choux torte, tiramisu bianco cheesecake… You name it they have it. And various other delicacies you couldn’t possibly pronounce the name of. That booth was more crowded than a train at peak hour and the food was always selling out.

On the other hand, Edmund’s other club, the philosophy club, had a meagre number of new members. So, in an attempt to attract more people, he had dressed up as Baron de La Brède et de Montesquieu, complete with the curled blond wig, red waistcoat and breeches. Behind him dragged a long tail of squealing fan girls who desired to take a photo with him (but had no intention of joining his club).

Audrey caused another shockwave by rejecting her former Lady-Gaga style and embracing her inner Audrey Hepburn. After the holiday, Audrey sacrificed her ebony locks for the dark brown tresses of Audrey Hepburn. Currently, her hair was swept up into a high bun with the iconic bangs.

I truthfully admit that Audrey looked more adorable with this new style.

Today was the last day of this Orientation week. I skipped along the corridors, looking left and right, making sure that I hadn’t missed anything fun. I loved carnivals! Whee!

Then, I realised that people were kinda staring at me so I stopped skipping. But they still sneaked not so surreptitious glances at me every now and then. I subtly looked in the windowpane nearby to examine my appearance.

Nope, my hair was okay. There was no stain on my uniform.

People were so weird sometimes.

So I carried on skipping until I came to the canteen.

There was a large crowd gathered in front of the doors of the canteen, around the big TV screen. I stood at the edge, tiptoeing, but I couldn’t see anything. Curious, I squeezed our way to the front of the crowd.

It was just a slideshow made by the High Fashion Society whose chairman was Audrey. The headline read “Thornwell’s Most Striking Impressions of the Year”. I cocked my head. What was so exciting about this? It was just photos of fashionably dressed students and teachers.

But everyone was buzzing in anticipation. Of what exactly, I didn’t know.

The buzzing reached a crescendo and a loud burst of laughter signalled that whatever we were waiting for had arrived.

I nearly fainted when I saw the photo.

It is one thing to laugh at something stupid you did with your friends; it is quite another to have that stupid moment up for the whole world to see.