Chapter Fourteen - Snoop

Chapter Fourteen – Snoop

Danielle was sprawled on her bed, watching the live telecast of the Dinner Gala of the Royal family on her laptop and following the live tweeting. It was attended by most, if not all, of the know-whos in society.

The Gala had just started and tweets were coming fast and furious. They were harsh, blunt and wickedly funny, not sparing the fashion mistakes of those who attended. Danielle watched, occasionally adding a comment or two.

Suddenly, she sat up. A tall lady in black was wearing a striking red necklace. But the camera moved past her and Danielle sat back, disappointed. She hadn’t time to see the details of the necklace. Besides, what were the chances that it really was the coral necklace they were looking for? Close to zero. Danielle sighed. She should stop being so obsessed. Seeing the necklace everywhere she went.

Danielle continued watching. Suddenly, her cellphone rang. Danielle picked it up but nearly dropped it as Alice yelled down the line.

“Woah, woah, back up your horse, missy,” Danielle said, putting the phone a safe distance away from her ear. “I didn’t catch anything.”

“Turn on your TV and watch the Royal Gala NOW!” Alice said excitedly.

“I’m already watching it, why?”

“WHAT?” Alice all but screamed. “Don’t you see? The necklace, the necklace…”

Danielle glanced at her screen and nearly dropped her phone again. Holy crap. The camera was showing a tall, stately woman with ebony hair swept up in a graceful bun. She was dressed in a dark midnight blue gown and on her neck was a stunning red coral necklace. It was studded with small diamonds and had a large oval pendent.

Wait. Danielle hurriedly flipped through her document. If she remembered correctly, Eleanore’s grandmother’s necklace had a… Ahah! It was a round pendant, not an oval one.

Danielle frowned. So this was the other necklace made by the Fabrice guy.

“Who is the woman?” Alice asked.

“Mrs Hamilton,” Danielle replied.

“Adrian’s mother?” Alice asked

“Yes,” Danielle nodded. “But that necklace isn’t Lena’s.” Danielle explained everything to Alice.

There was light at the end of the dark tunnel again. Maybe she could finally solve the mystery and fulfil her promise to Emma.

*

“Lena!” Alice and Danielle shrieked, rushing to where I was sitting in my homeroom with Kat, talking. My classmates barely gave them a few glances, already used to their weird antics.

“Here,” Alice showed me her iPad. “Look here.” She pointed to a photo pf a woman in black, wearing a red necklace.

I started and looked closer. She was also wearing the bracelet and earrings.

“It is the same type but my grandmama’s was – ”

“Round, not oval,” Danielle finished. “We know. But aren’t you curious to know why Adrian’s mom has a similar necklace to your grandmother?”

I frowned. “Maybe it was given to his relative along with the medal,” I speculated. Then I glanced at their eager faces. “I could ask him, I guess?”

Danielle nodded her head fervently. “Please?” She gave me a puppy-dog stare. “I’m dying of curiosity here!”

I laughed. “I’ll try.”