Chapter 3

The injections began the next day, two a day every day. Doctor Stanley and Doctor Jones administered the injections themselves. They trusted nobody else with the formula that Stanley had developed. The babies fought the injections but they seemed to respond. They all grew at a healthy rate and none showed signs of illness ever. It was remarkable, Stanley had thought to himself. His drug mixture was appearing to in fact work in its abilities to prevent illness. However, unfortunately, the testing of their ability to regenerate or self-heal, however, was not as successful. None showed any physical ability to heal any faster than a normal child. The ability to prevent childhood illness was not the outcome the 'Management' was after. However, they felt it was progress and progress was enough to keep the program going. Weekly updates were necessary along with weekly blood draws. These poor children, Stanley could hear in his head over and over, but he knew that they knew no better. They only life they knew was one of needles, physical tests, and training. They couldn't think it was bad or wrong or that they didn't have a normal life. Stanley tried to bring a small sense of normal to them. He would read stories to them at bedtime. He snuck in toys for them to play with under the disguise as 'learning tools' to improve their education. He bonded with Marie the most. She had nightmares regularly and he would always be there to cradle her and rock her back to sleep. She was his daughter in every sense of the word and he cared more about her than any of them. As they grew, they grew only stronger both physically and mentally, but by the age of ten, problems started to show.

"They are growing up quite nicely don't you agree?" Jones said with a smile to Stanley.

"Yes, but I am worried about the three smallest," Stanley replied as Bruce entered the walkway.

"Gentlemen are you enjoying watching the children? I say it's a bit creepy to just stand here watching them 'play'," Bruce said with a smile.

Stanley gazed back down to the nine of them on the floor of the training facility. Stanley couldn't take his eyes off his sweet Marie with her long blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She was hard to look away from; she was playing with Tommy, the smallest of the boys. As she always was.

"They are inseparable those two. It's kind of cute," Jones said with a smile.

"Not really, they aren't supposed to make friends, they are supposed to form a team, not pair up. The only time 'play' is appropriate is when the training demands it. They are my project too," Bruce replied crossing his arms. Stanley just kept looking at them.

"Marie, come play with us," Michael called to Marie as she sat on the floor with Tommy playing cards.

"Ok, come on, Tommy let's go," Marie said to him as she started to get up placing the cards on the floor.

"No, not Tommy, he can't keep up," Samuel called out standing next to Michael.

"Agreed. No, Tommy," Austin added.

"Come on, let him join in. He makes the rest of us look good," Justin chimed in with a smile.

"You're all mean. He can play too!" Marie yelled back at them.

"Guys, I don't really want to play anyway; you go ahead," Tommy replied straightening his glasses and picking up the cards Marie had put down.

"I'm not playing unless Tommy plays too," Marie said flipping her blonde pony tail, crossing her arms, and sitting back down on the floor next to Tommy.

"Marie, please, we need one more. If Tommy plays we will be an odd number. We can only do relay races with an even number. Scott is in an assessment. So, Tommy would have nobody to race against anyway," Michael replied.

"Then, by your logic, Sam doesn't get to play since he's Scott's twin, no Scott no Sam. They should have to race each other," Marie said, sticking out her tongue at the boys.

Tommy laughed.

"No, your logic doesn't follow. Scott is on my team. That's why Tommy doesn't get to play," Samuel replied crossing his arms.

"Marie, my team will be short if you don't play. Please," Michael pleaded again.

"Go play with them," Tommy said quietly to Marie.

"No! I will not play. They always do this. This is all you, Sam, you always pick on him. You're a jerk and Scott's not any good either but you let him play all the time," Marie said shaking her finger.

"Don't talk about Scott like that!" Samuel yelled back at Marie.

"If you can pick on Tommy, I can pick on Scott," Marie said, standing up with a smile.

Samuel's face turned red as he walked towards Marie, "I'm going to punch you," he yelled at her.

Michael stepped between them, "Stop. You are not going to punch her, we are just not going to play that's all," Michael said calmly to Samuel.

"You're lucky Mike's here or you would get it," Samuel replied, turning and walking out of the room.

Michael turned and looked at Marie and Tommy. "Thanks for ruining today, Tommy," Michael said frustrated and walked out of the room.

"I'm sorry," Tommy let out in a whisper hanging his head.

"Don't you apologize for anything. They are mean and no fun. I don't want to play with them anyway," Marie said to him touching his hands as they were folded on his lap.

"You should hang with them not me, they are more like you. You are strong and fast and I suck," Tommy said still hanging his head.

"I will hang out with my friends and that is all, and you are my best friend," Marie said with a smile.

Tommy lifted his head and smiled back.

Jones watched the interaction unfold as he was walking down the stairs. He approached Tommy from behind. "Tommy, you're up," Jones said

"Good luck, you'll do great," Marie said leaning in and giving Tommy a kiss on the cheek.

Tommy smiled and got up and went with Jones.

"I don't like it. She is too close with him," Bruce said to Stanley as they stood on the walkway watching Tommy and Marie interact.

"She's just a little girl. She has a natural desire to bond to other people," Stanley replied.

"Well, how well will your little girl handle it when Tommy doesn't survive the first mission because he is not up to the level necessary?" Bruce questioned firmly.

A guard approached them on the walkway with papers. "Both Chris and Scott failed. They are too far behind the others. They are going to begin testing Thomas now," the guard reported.

Bruce shook his head as he read the papers. "This is a major problem. If Chris and Scott failed there is no way possible Tommy will pass. This is going to have to be brought up with everyone else," Bruce said to Stanley.

"I know," Stanley said grasping the railing tightly and staring at Marie. Marie was still on the training floor playing with her bo, twirling it between her fingers and pretending to fight an invisible foe. "I know" Stanley repeated.

"I'll call everyone together for tomorrow. We will have Tommy's results back by then," Bruce replied walking away.