Chapter Thirtyfive - Lime Green or Champagne?

After hours and hours of thinking about what'd I'd say, I finally picked up the phone. Then thinking about it again, I put it down. Why is this so hard? It's not like I'm asking her to marry me or anything... That brought up memories of last night. No, I really didn't want to think about that again. The guys were just kiddin' around, it wasn't a big deal. Right?

I shook my head and just dialed her number. It felt like the butterflies were eating away at my stomach, but when I heard her say, "Hello?" they calmed down instantly. Her voice seemed different; almost sweeter.

"Hey, Beaver." I smiled.

"Oh hey, Bale! How are you?" She asked happily, making me feel a little better.

"I'm just headin' out the door for work. You want to come hang out before I go?" Please say yes, please, please say yes.

"Ugh, I'm sorry, I can't."

Damn. "Why not?" I asked, trying to sound fine with the fact I couldn't give her her necklace today...

"I'm helping Ashley out with a last minute wedding thing. She won't tell me what it is, but she was practically begging me. I really wish I could go though... Maybe Sunday morning, we could go fishing; all the wedding stuff will be done by then."

I shrugged - I really wanted her to be able to wear the necklace tomorrow, but I guess it could wait. "Okay, that sounds good. Y'all have fun, and let me know if you need a ride home, hunny." I smiled.

By the silence, I knew exactly what she was doing. She was making that adorable face I love; the one where she bites her lip and smiles, all while blushing. "Thanks, I'll hold you to it." She giggled.

"Good." I chuckled and hung up the phone.

Too bad.

Annabelle

"So what am I doing?" I asked when I arrived at Ashley's. Billy dropped me off here on his way to work.

"Um, okay, well I hate to make you do this, but I really need you to go with Harry to the tux shop." She made a pained face, knowing I wouldn't like this. She was right. "He's there for a fitting, and I was supposed to go there and make sure it looked good on him, but there's a problem with my dress. There's a hole in the side and I have to go get it mended, make sure the cake is ready by tomorrow mornin' and then I have to pick up my parents' outfits at the dry cleaners."

"Sounds like you have a lot on your plate." I mumbled while she ran around and grabbed her keys, purse and slipped on some tennis shoes.

"I do! Ugh, this is crazy!"

"I could do all those things for you. Checking out your future husband isn't really on my list."

She started laughing, not seeing I was being serious, "Oh, Belly, you're a hoot! I'll call you to make sure everything is goin' good. And if I can, I'll pop in and take a look for myself. Thank you so much, sweetiepie!" She hugged me before grabbing her wedding dress in a garment bag and heading out the door.

The door was already closed when I thought about the question. "Wait, how am I gonna get there...?"

"Thanks, Bale, I'm sorry." I frowned, getting out of his truck. Thankfully he wasn't at work yet. He said he was running late anyway, but he'd have to stay late tonight and Michael would pick me up instead.

"It's okay, Annabelle, don't worry." He looked down, looking deep in thought when he finished speaking.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He shook his head and smiled up at me, "Nothing. Just was thinking about somethin' I need to do. I'll do it Sunday instead. It can wait."

I shrugged, "Okay." I ran around the truck and leaned into his open window, pecking him real quick on the lips. "Thanks for the ride. I'll see you tomorrow at the wedding. I'll see if I can come into the shop tonight on my way home. Then you can give me a ride!" I gave him a hopeful look.

"Baby, I don't want you waitin' that long on me." He frowned.

"I don't care how long I have to wait; I want you to take me home."

Bale smiled, "I'll think about it. But if I say no, you gotta go home, no if, and's or but's."

"Okay." I knew he'd drive me home tonight if I gave him puppy dog eyes. I'm pretty good at it, people say. I ran to the shop doors and waved back at Bale before going inside and looking around.

It didn't take me long to find Harry, sitting in the waiting room. He was looking through the catalog, looking at bow ties... How tacky. I grimaced before putting on a smile and walking over. "Hey, Harry. I'm here to help you out."

He looked up at me and gave me a warm smile, making me feel a little better about being here. "I know, Ashley called me. She may think I'm S.O.L here, but- ...She's right, I have no clue what I'm doing." He sighed with defeat, gesturing to the lime green bowtie he apparently had been looking at.

"Yes you are, that's hideous." I gave a sour look before sitting next to him and taking the book. After flipping through, I found a long tie in gold-cream colored silk, with a undertone pattern of squares. It matched Ashleys dress, but looked different at the same time. "This is a good one. It matches - oops, I probably shouldn't say."

"Matches what?" He asked.

"Uh... The napkins. She didn't want me to tell you, but she picked the silk napkins."

He nodded, accepting my excuse (even though we both knew I was lying). "Sounds good. It's a good thing you're here, I would have picked that green thing."

"I don't see why you wouldn't." I giggled.

Harry closed the book when the tailor called us back there. While I waited in the guests room, Harry went with the guy and tried on some suits. Each time he came out, I thought they all looked the same. I would just shrug and say, 'looks good!'. The tailor kept glaring at me, knowing what I thought, and he obviously thought I was wrong. What is it with these wedding people and not liking me!

"This one is the best one!" The tailor said, coming out before Harry. It was like he was warning me to say 'this is the very best one!'. "It fits him the best and he looks dashing in it, if I do say so myself."

When Harry came out, I stood up, rolling my eyes. When I finally saw him though, I was breathless. Wow, he looked really good. Kind of like a James Bond look. His wide shoulders looked good in the jet black suit, matching his black hair. I noticed his hair was kind of curled now... His icy blue eyes contrasted nicely against the darkness of his hair and clothes. He looked good. "Wow, Harry, you do look dashing." I nodded in approval.

He smiled, "You think so? You think Ash will like it?"

"I know she'll like it." I grinned.

He told the tailor this is the one he was going to get then went to go pay for it. I waited outside, by the front door, wondering what I was going to do next. I expected this to take a long time, but it had only taken an hour or so. Michael probably couldn't pick me up till later, when his shift ended. Would Harry take me home? I really wanted to go see Bale though... Maybe he can take me to go see him, then I can wait around the tackle shop till his shift ended tonight.

"So what do we do now?" Harry asked, coming out of the shop with a garment bag.

I shrugged, "I was kind of hoping you could take me to the tackle shop, so I could see Bale..."

Harry smiled, "Sure, we could do that. First I think we deserve a drink. Let's go back to my house; my parents have some good stuff there."

I was hesitant. Being alone with Harry? I wasn't sure if I wanted to. "I don't know..."

"Aw, come on. Just one drink before I get married. It'll all be champagne tomorrow." He laughed. True, plus there'd be a bunch of people... And he said he hasn't had a bachelor's party; maybe I should, just kind of like a quiet get together between friends. We were friends when we were kids.

"Okay, but just for an hour or so. Then I'd better get to the tackle shop." I said.

"Sounds good to me!" He headed towards his car, leaving me to follow him.

I guess a couple drinks wouldn't hurt anything...