Chapter Nineteen - Questions, Questions, Questions

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"NO."

"YES!"

"NO, Annabelle!"

I frowned at Hazel. How can she do this, she promised! And we have a rule! She has to follow that rule... no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT.

"I'm not going to freaking Tennessee, and there's nothing you can do to make me go." She huffed.

I thought about it, then knew there was a certain way to get her to go with me. "You know, I have three older brothers. They're all pretty handsome." I'm guessing, I haven't seen them in forever...

I could already see the wheels in her head turning. She's such a sucker for guys, it's not even funny. Every summer is the same; we stalk the life guards at the local pool. Every beginning of school was the same; we'd pick out the cutest guys and call 'firsties'... not that I ever used mine. Point is, we're always looking for men - mostly for Hazel's sake.

"Fine."

Wow, I didn't expect it to be that easy. "Seriously?" I asked, unable to believe she'd give in that fast.

"Yes. But only if I get to flirt with whoever I want." Yep, that's her right there.

I growled, "Ugh, have whoever you want, Hazel, I'm there to see my family, not guys!"

She gave me one of those 'I highly doubt that' looks she always gives me, before going to braiding her hair. "Fine, I'll go. But I'm not going near any horses."

I rolled my eyes and went to my dresser; pulling out shorts, tank tops, and other things I may need. I figured I'd get packing done early; rush packing sucks and I usually forget everything if I do. Every now and again Hazel gave me a worried look. At one point she said, "Judging by what you're packing this trip is going to suck."

"You got yourself into this." I reminded her.

"Look, I never signed up to wear...these..." She held up a pair of cowgirl boots I picked up the other day - I remember wearing them all the time as a kid, I figured it'd be good to be prepared - and my cowgirl hat... I haven't worn this thing in years...

I smiled to myself and took it from her, putting it on top of my head. It felt different, but it felt good. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but still, I knew something was good about this. Thinking it'd be cool, I quickly pulled on a pair of socks and my boots. The thunking noise they made just filled my heart with happiness.

I had to admit, I missed being a country girl. I didn't have my accent anymore, and I wasn't as tan as I used to be. My blonde hair wasn't as bright, since I hardly spent time in the sun anymore. This would be good. Just me and a horse... Old memories came to mind.

"Ah, there's the hick I met six years ago." Hazel said.

"Don't you miss her?"

"To tell the truth, sometimes. You had so many cool things to teach me about."

"Well now I can teach you." I smiled. "Just wait until we get there. I'll be a rootin', tootin', cowgirl all over again."

She nodded, "I believe you." Hazel sat up on my bed as I continued to pack, my boots clunking across the hardwood floors. "So you're sure your mom is cool with this?" She asked.

I shrugged, "I guess so. I mean, my dad called and planned out the whole trip with her on the phone the other day... I can't believe I'm spending the whole summer with him... Look, I bet you I won't see him for another six years, then we'll do the whole thing over again."