Chapter Four: Penny In The Air

AN: Something important about this story is that Morgana is still evil. She's just going to destroy Camelot differently than in the Canon... :)

________________________________

Polish his armor, clean up his room, fix his window, blah, blah, blah. Just want to violently polish his head sometimes, you know?

Merlin was not talking to himself. Merely thinking aloud, and towards a stuffed bird. So, he wasn't talking to himself either way. Unfortunately, Gaius didn't exactly see it in such way, and when Merlin continued ranting to the ammeter taxidermy, he had to address his...whatever you'd call it. Crisis? He stepped into Arthur's chambers holding his pack of deliveries to be made slung around his shoulder and hanging at his side. It was when he started throwing out curses towards the prince (or bird, rather) that he brought the matter up. "Merlin," He said, Merlin lifting his head and looking up at him with sad eyes. "Have you been crying?" Merlin stood, swallowing his spit and straightening his back.

"No." He said bluntly, but it was obvious he had been.  Gaius gave him the look, placing a hand on his shoulder in an attempt for comfort. 

"What ever is the matter with you?" 

"S-Stress, I just- I'm a bit, overwhelmed with all of this, to be honest. But I'm perfectly fine, Gaius. Don't worry about me." He dismissed with a light, fake smile. Gaius went along with it. For his sake. 

"I will worry about you. I'll gladly pull some strings and get you the day off if you need it."

"No, no," Merlin mumbled, sitting down and continuing polishing Arthur's boots. " 'M fine."

"Oh, I don't believe that for a second!" 

"Will you stop! I told you I'm fine, just please!" Merlin snapped, hand raised and pointed to Gaius in a "back-off" gesture. 

"Alright, alright. Come see me if you need anything. Or you care to explain what's really got you so on edge." Merlin waved him off. Gaius sighed, properly irritated. He passed Arthur halfway down the hall.

"Everything alright, Gaius?" He asked.

"Ask Merlin." He replied delightfully, walking away, robes wafting gracefully behind him. Arthur lifted his chin and he continued down to his chambers. Can't wait for this... 

"Merlin? Ah, Merlin. Glad to see you... are you alright?" Merlin smiled wiping the few tears on his cheeks away and looking up at him, swallowing the lump in his throat. 

"Yes, sire. I'll just finish this in my chambers." He sniffled, picking up the last pair of shoes and polishing equipment. Arthur held his bicep, boney. He looked at the ceiling, not at all wanting to ask.

"What's wrong?" He said, not at all pleased with the question, but he looked so sad, so lost. Like he'd just lost a puppy and found it dead a week later. Probably dead from being a sorcerer, Arthur thought among the thousands of other things burning his head and giving him a headache from all of the rage building up in him. But he was brought back to his senses when Merlin tried to tear his arm away.

"Let go! Can't you hear me?! That hurts!" Arthur opened his mouth to say something, but shut it when Merlin whimpered. The most depressing sound you could imagine. Something he didn't want to hear again at all, ever. Arthur let go, feeling awful, much more than he should. "Jesus, what-"

"I'm sorry I..I don't know what came over me."

"It's alright," he gasped, holding his arm. "Damn." 

"No, it's not," Arthur replied, lifting his arm up a bit to roll up his sleeve. Merlin flinched and his nose scrunched. Arthur's face dropped, his touch suddenly feather-light. "I've probably bruised you-" He had, and he didn't feel good about it. "How am I even that strong?!"

"Don't be so modest," Merlin said, biting his lip as Arthur poked at it, rubbing it tenderly in a failed attempt to sooth it.

"I'm so sorry, Merlin. I-" He was apologizing, repeatedly. Was he still possessed?

"It's fine, I..forgive you. It's not a big deal, Arthur, really," There was a long pause of eyes on eyes. "Really." Merlin picked up a boot he'd dropped, stumbling to the door. 

"Merlin, wait."

"Yes?"

"I don't know." Merlin frowned, opening the door with his foot and smiling.

"Well, I'll be in my room if you do know. Sire." Arthur nodded, sitting in his chair and shaking his head. What have I done, he thought, shutting his eyes and rubbing his face. Truth be told, he did know. But he was too tired to wonder why he was playing dumb about it, and flopped on his bed to take a nap. 

__________________________

AN: Sorry it's so short, I just needed to do something before I went crazy w/ my writers block. (!!!HHGGLYG!) Thanks for all of the good reviews and I hope to have better content up in the future- this chapter was a bit rusty. /: Bye! :P