☙ 40 ❧

"I've always thought of writing a story together—just you and me—and not because we're both writers, but rather because writing itself betrays us. In our scribbles we can get rid of this piercing veil that covers our eyes and see exactly where we stand. Our words would shape new realities and what was once hidden would resurface. All that I hid, all that you knew, everything would be cast into a new light. We'd paint dreadful words on pure-white pages and the sentences we lay down would brush our retinas with bitter tears. On the top of the letters, we'd carve our souls and our story would take a different stance..."  Her eyes closed and a sad smile painted her lips. 

He, on the other hand, continued to stand by the massive wooden door, his mouth slightly open, his chest rising and falling, while his hand remained suspended mid-air. He watched her dearly, caressing her entire being with his melancholic look. His heart beat rapidly, echoing into his head, directing his steps towards the table where empty papers awaited.

"So...?" His voice trembled with hope.

Her eyes opened and scanned him from head to toes. Wavy dark hair. Ocean blue eyes. Freckles and a long pale face. Seated right across from her, he awaited her response.

Silence enveloped them both. Their gazes locked, their chests moving in unison. A thousand thoughts wandered through their heads, unspoken. Tension rose with every beat of their tiny hearts.

"I..." She looked at him once more. Her voice faltered and a sigh followed, almost inaudible. 

Above the paper sheets and pencils, their shadows played silently. Slowly, she crossed her arms over the small uncovered area in front of her and laid down her head. Locks of a reddish brown drew thick lines on the cherry wooden desk.

"I can't do it." She whispered.

From across the desk, his tender gaze enveloped her whole. He raised his pale hand above her pretty head, where it awaited, pondering. He staggered for a second.

"I understand." He gently stroke her head. "I understand..."

Doubt washed all over her.