Part 23

I think it's funny that people think that this thing we call "love" develops over time. Maybe it is true, but not in all cases. I didn't say I was in love, because I wasn't sure, but at the same time, I was just scared to say it. Why? Because people always say that it takes time, love doesn't just happen, and I'm the stupid person who believes them.

I looked at myself in the small bathroom mirror. My hair was damp from the shower I had just taken, but overall I looked better than I did last night. I had put on the same clothes I was wearing yesterday because I had nothing else to wear, but I was clean and ready to go.

Nothing happened last night with Wyatt and I. I kissed him and he kissed me back, but that was pretty much it. We lay in bed just talking after that, he was feeling much better and I was too. We had a rough night, but it didn't feel like it.

Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning it was like nothing had happened. Suddenly Wyatt didn't remember our talks or our kiss. He was completely mute and all he said was that we were leaving. Frankly I felt hollow. I wanted the kiss to be something, I wanted our talks to mean something, I wanted us to be something, but I tried my best to act like nothing had happened as well. It's not important right now though, what was more important is where we could possibly go.

I sighed at my reflection and walked out of the washroom. Wyatt lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling, but said nothing when I walked in. "When are we leaving?" I asked quietly.

"We aren't. I am." Wyatt spoke after moments of silence.

"What?" I whipped my head around to him. "I'm coming with you. The whole point of me being with you in the first place was for you to 'keep me safe' remember?"

Wyatt stood up from the bed and his expression went from slightly stone cold to completely stone cold. "I know that, Gemma. But clearly bringing you with me wasn't the best idea now was it? I brought you into my shit and now we're shooting targets. It would be okay if it was just me, but I can't have you being one."

"And why not? I've been shot at before and I was a big girl about it. And do you think I like seeing you as a target for shooting practice? News flash! I don't." My tone rose as I spoke. Wyatt was making me angry and I couldn't stand him thinking that I was a liability, but he didn't fail to remind me.

"Gemma, this isn't your problem." Wyatt sighed, clearly annoyed.

"And you realize that now, Wyatt?" I asked, curiously. I felt so hollow, and all I wanted to do was cry, but I didn't.

"I knew that from the beginning. I just...I just thought that maybe...I don't know, Gemma." Wyatt gave up after trying to figure out what to say. He sat down on the bed and placed his head in his hands. We both sat in silence for a few minutes, trying to comprehend our situation. "I'm sorry."

I nodded and looked down at my feet. "It's okay. We're both stressed." Slowly, I walked over to Wyatt and sat down next to him. I wrapped my arms around him, he flinched, but he didn't hug me back right away. Within minutes though, his arms were around my waist and mine were around his neck.

He buried his head into my neck and sighed. "We should go..."

Wyatt sounded like he wanted to go on, so I encouraged him. "But..."

"But this feels too good to let go."

I smiled into his shoulder. "I know." Wyatt and I stayed in each other's arms for a while, but we eventually let go. "What are we going to do now?"

Wyatt stayed quiet for a minute. Why did I feel like he wasn't telling me on purpose? "I think it's better to um...Gemma, I think we'd be safe with Grayson and Jake. We'll stay the night there and then go from there."

Wyatt wouldn't look at me. He was lying and I could clearly tell, but I didn't push him. "Okay." Quickly and swiftly, Wyatt and I grabbed our stuff and made our way down to the main lobby. When we were outside, the sounds of cars rushing by on the highway, filled my ears. It was numbing but it felt nice not to be able to think about anything and with the sounds, I couldn't hear myself think.

Wyatt walked over to a sleek black car, all of the windows were tinted darkly and I wondered how we would be able to see from the inside, but I guess the tinted glass was so no one could see us. "It's bullet proof." Wyatt said, walking over to my side of the car and opening the door for me.

At this point, I wasn't even surprised. "Of course, it is." I chuckled, lightly. I slipped into the sleek car and Wyatt followed suit by walking over to the other side and slipping into the car as well.

I didn't know where we were going, but apparently Jake and Grayson had a cottage towards the southern part of the state and they were there right now, waiting for us. I appreciated their help, they were my half brothers and we hadn't met too long ago, so it was nice to see that they cared, someone actually cared after so long.

The drive wasn't too long, but throughout it, Wyatt and I kept quiet. I didn't know about Wyatt, but all I could think of was what Wyatt and I were. I liked him, did he like me? I wanted us to be something, did he? I didn't even know if we could be anything, and I just didn't feel like asking him right now, we had other things to worry about and I didn't know what could or would happen if I did ask, so I chose to keep quiet.

Within an hour or so, Wyatt and I drove in a wooded area and were met with a line of cottages, separated with at least an acre of land. Wyatt had clearly spoken to Jake and Grayson in detail because he knew where the cottage was, but he had also clearly not told me anything.

The cottage was small, but looked welcoming. Black railings surrounded the porch and two seats were placed in the front garden. It'd be nice to just relax here for a bit, but I knew we wouldn't be relaxing.

As if on cue, Jake and Grayson walked out of the cottage and smiled at me in the most comforting way that they possibly could. "Hey, Gemmy. Hey Wyatt, how you guys doing?" Grayson asked, placing a hand on my arm and looking me in the eyes, so he could make sure I wasn't lying.

I forced a smile, but I wanted to tell him, I was horrible. "Great." Grayson didn't look convinced, but he still moved his eyes to Wyatt. Jake eventually pulled me inside and took me to my room. Fortunately, Wyatt and I had separate rooms and if anything this separation would give me time to think. "You really like him, don't you?" Jake asked, as I was placing my purse onto the twin bed in the middle of the bright room.

I turned around and ran a hand through my hair. "Uh...yes?"

Jake chuckled. "He likes you too, otherwise he wouldn't be so adamant on keeping you safe and always being by your side."

I looked around the room as a distraction. It was fairly bright, with white, almost see through curtains that contrasted with the hard wood floors. I liked the room, it gave a happy vibe. "I know," I eventually answered. "But it's not like anything can happen, ya know? Things are way too complicated right now."

"I understand, and so does he, that's the only reason he's keeping his distance." Jake sighed, and leaned against the door frame. For some reason I heard his voice waver a little bit.

I turned around and narrowed my eyes at him. "It that the only reason, Jake?"

Jake tried, I could see him trying, to keep his cool, but his voice cracked when he said "Yah, that's it." And I knew he was lying. The only question was, what were they hiding?

(A/N: Short and filler chapter....I know, I know. But things are going to get interesting in the next chapter and I needed a transition :) Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this and thank you all for the well wishes and support, you are all amazing :) EDITED!