Chapter Eight: Reasons to Hate You

"Hello," Corey politely greeted me inside the police station. He scrunched his eyes at the sight of my pink and purple polka dot pajama pants and baggy grey sweatshirt. Was it really such a gaudy outfit? By the looks of it Corey seemed to think it was. I really did hate cops. To be specific, I hated how they tried to act all nice and crap when they were really silently judging you. Maybe I just hated Corey right now; I wasn't sure.  I wasn't sure of a lot of things these days to be quite honest.

"Hi," I grumbled under my breath. "Do you have any idea where Roan could be?" I asked. I just wanted to get the talk with Roan over with so I could go home and watch Netflix. I will probably end up being petulant and grouchy by the end of the day, but who was to blame me?  Roan was being a prick lately.  I've had the urge to sleep in my room for about a hundred years.  I was depressed, but that's no one else's business.  Besides, who wouldn't be depressed if they were me?  

"He is over at his desk reviewing papers still. Why?" He replied.

"I just need to talk to him is all. Thanks," I said.

"Welcome," was the only response I got before he turned back to the papers at the front desk. I plodded over to Roans' work area, wishing I could just leave already.

"Ah, Evelyn. It's so nice of you to come and see me this wonderful afternoon," Roan said as I approached his desk. He was slouching in his chair with his feet propped up on his desk, a notebook in hand. His blonde hair was a little messier than usual, and his brown eyes shone brightly, as always. I suddenly felt self-conscious for only wearing pajamas, but then again, why did it matter? It wasn't like Roan was going to check me out or anything.

"Hello Roan. It's such a waste of an afternoon though, isn't it? I would rather be anywhere but here." I sneered. I sat down in the same chair I normally sit in. It was pretty sad that I had a designated chair at a police station.

"Well, once you are done telling me everything that happened we can get on with our lives. So, please, take a seat, and tell me everything that happened from beginning to end."

"There isn't much information," I said. "But I had a dream, well a nightmare actually, and I remembered some things. The person who took me was wearing a mask while he tortured me. Really I only remember the torturing part. I remember begging for the person to stop, but they just continued." Roan wrote everything down on a notebook, taking careful notes.

"That can't be all that happened," Roan said. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"But is all of the information."

"That's not all you remembered," Roan accused.

"Excuse me?" I asked. "What the hell do you mean that that's not all I remembered? Were you even there? No, no you weren't."

"Your mother said it was a lot."

"Well my mother, can suck your dick because that's all I remember Roan." I blushed a little at the comment about his dick. Colette would have so much to say at that comment.  

"Excuse me?" Now it was his turn to be confused. "Did you just say that to a cop?"

"Yep. No shame" I happily replied. If he was going to be a grade A dick to me, I was going to be a bitch back.  Well, him and my mom that is.

"Stop being a child Evelyn!" He said.  Even though the previous comment was very childish, I wasn't about to back down! I laughed, amused by him calling me a child.

"You're the one who is being utterly ridiculous and saying that I'm not telling you everything when you don't even know the story because you weren't there!" I yelled. "That's being childish Roan!" I was annoyed by him surmising that I'm lying to him. Why is he being a dick to me all of this week?

"Maybe if you weren't going around and getting abducted by random strangers we wouldn't be in this mess Evelyn!" He yelled back. His brown eyes that almost always held the most calm, gentle appearance had morphed into a jaded, petulant void. How could he be this mad over me? Over something that I couldn't control? Don't get me wrong, I didn't know this man, but I felt as if we were finally getting on good terms. By the looks of it, we were on completely different pages, with different agendas, and he feels that it is my fault that I'm here. Uh-uh. He needs to think again.

"Listen, Roan whatever-your-middle-name-is Carter. I don't know what your problem is. For all I know, you could have a tampon shoved too far up your vagina. But this, me getting taken, is not my fault."   I was told to speak from the heart when I was little, so that's exactly what I did.

"Oh really?" he drawled.

"Yeah, duche-pants. So just let me help with this stupid case so I can leave."

"You are not -and I repeat- not, going to help us in this case. Is that understood?"

"Bullshit! I will and you can't stop me." I attempted to expostulate him from his decision. "And when I do go looking for this guy, I will be alone. Then I will have no protection!"

He seemed to know that I was right. His eyes narrowed, and he scowled. I couldn't help but smugly smile at him because I was winning this argument. "Evelyn, you have already cost me my promotion to New York, you will not cost me my job."

"I what?" I asked.

"I was supposed to go to New York for a promotion, but then they assigned me your case because I was the best fit for it. You have already cost me a new life, you don't need to take anymore away from me," he replied. I sighed. That's why he hates me, because I cost him a job. It all made sense now, but that didn't mean that I was giving up on the fight.

"Please Roan. I swear I will follow your lead. I won't overstep anyone. I just want to tag along," I begged. Roan, who was still glaring, sighed deeply.

"You know, I don't like you very much. And as I can imagine, you don't like me very much either. If I even catch you trying anything, anything at all, I will have you kicked off of this case. Is that understood?" He asked.

"Yes," was all that I said, afraid to say any other obnoxious thing to get me in trouble.

"Then go home.  Get out of my sight."

"Is that a yes?" I pestered. He sighed again, sounding very annoyed with me.

"I'll call you when we get more information on this person. If you remember anything, call me."

That was as close to a yes as I was ever going to get from him.  I was content with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Updated on December 14, 2015

I'm sorry guys, I know it's crap but you need something to read!

slightly more, but not much, edited.

Keep up the reading and the voting guys!  It means a lot!  Sorry, I know this part sucks today, but it's better than nothing!  Thanks again, and just stick with me, okay? 

1263 words