twenty eight.

Present Day.

In this new life, I always wake up a few minutes before my alarm.

Probably because I'm never able to sleep all that deeply alone.

So when the shrill dinging sounds during my dream, I'm a little confused. Then as I wade into consciousness it clicks that it's coming from my phone and it's time to wakeup and I instinctively reach out to quiet the noise.

Then I realize it still feels like I'm inside my dream, when I see the body I've rolled away from, still and heavy on the mattress. And I can't repress the wild grin that takes up my entire face with the night's events click into place.

He looks so peaceful, lying on his stomach, which he'd call "resting on his laurels," because he'd want me to draw attention to his tattoo puns, and I'd roll my eyes and groan and try to keep from giggling because I fall for them every single time. 

His mouth slightly agape, the air escaping past his lips lightly stirring a few strands of long hair splayed across the side of his face.

I soaked it all in. The rested feeling that fell over my whole body. The peaceful quiet, only interrupted by the light sound of his breathing. His button nose. The stubble dotting his chin. How my apartment converted into a full-feeling home with him inside of it.

But then I stayed in bed way too long and had to throw on the first thing I found on the floor of my closet and go to work makeup-less.

It was worth every extra second I got to spend staring at him.

Before I left I made myself late by digging around for a piece of paper and a pen and scribbling him a note.

Had to go be a working woman. If you have somewhere you need to be, here's my spare key just lock up when you leave. If not, I'll be home at 5.

xx Lex

I placed it on my empty pillow, and grabbed my keys and purse as quietly as humanly possible, slipping out of the door and praying he was there when I got back.

~*~

The day crawled by.

And when I didn't receive any text messages, I had a feeling Harry was still sound asleep, catching up on the weeks of slumber he'd missed.

Knowing Harry was warm and beautiful back home in my bed was rough, and I had a feeling Cora wouldn't mind if I headed out since work was slow, but I didn't want to let him disrupt things this quickly.

So I kept it to myself, which wasn't difficult because Cora was in meetings all morning. But the second she walked by my desk she grabbed at my chair and spun it around.

"Alexandria!"

I couldn't stop the smile sliding across my face, but I rolled my eyes. "Yes?"

"What are you even doing here?"

She knew. Of course she already knew. Harry probably texted her when he landed.

"Working. What are you doing?"

"Lexi, you've got to be kidding me!"

This caught the attention of Emma, who popped up from her cubicle. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," I shook my head quickly, cheeks reddening and betraying me, but Cora wasn't going to keep her friend in the dark.

"Harry's at her house," she whispered, rather loudly, gesturing at me, who was now mortified and covering my face with my hands.