thirty nine.

Once the boys disappeared off the stage Lou informed me she had strict orders to keep me in place.

"But I have to pee, Lou," I whined. I haven't noticed during the show, but now that Harry was out of my eyeline my bodily functions demanded to be attended to.

She sighed and chewed her lip, surveying the girls still pouring out of the stadium and then relented, "Okay, okay. I think you'll have time. But don't tell him I let you out of my sight. And don't try to go backstage, please, please come right back."

"I promise! Thanks, Lou!" I exclaimed, squeezing her shoulder and tearing off towards the stairs in search of the ladies room.

I moved so fast I didn't feel the stares, and it wasn't until I filed in the long line waiting for a stall that they caught up with me.

The one in front of me was the boldest. "You're Lex!"

Her announcement garnered the attention of all the girls in line and I didn't think quick enough to lie. I sort of just.. shrugged.

"Harry loves you!" One behind me alleged with disbelief.

"What does he smell like?"

"How long have you guys been dating?"

"Can you take us backstage?"

"Why aren't you with him right now?"

So many questions erupted at once and so many eyes focused on me that I hardly noticed when Lou pounced and came to my rescue.

"Yeah salts, she's Harry's special friend! Do you think you could do us a favor and let her to the front of the line? Harry'd love you for it!"

The woman was a genius, and the once quizzical girls all obliged and let Lou yank me fifteen people ahead and then forcefully pushed me into a stall. "Alright now, hurry up. Gotta get you back in one piece."

I acquiesced, peeing quickly and was descended upon again while trying to wash my hands.

"Can you tell him Chloe loves him?"

"What kind of shampoo does he use?"

"Have you kissed him?"

"Can you call him right now?"

Lou again worked her magic, yanking some bobby pins out of her purse.

"I used these on Niall," she said, handing them out. "And these are Harry's. Here you go! Fight amongst yourselves."

Surprisingly her odd peace offering worked, the girls clamored for the bobby pins and we escaped, darting back down to our seats, in the opposite direction of the sea of people with our heads down.

Once back she frowned at me. "Now don't tell him anything about that."

"I won't. You're my hero. But, Lou, why are we still down here?"

"All part of Harry's master plan," she sighed, rolling her eyes. "I don't know all the details, just was given the marching orders."

"So we can't just go see him right now?"

All I wanted was to see him. To kiss him. To have him say those words to my face, alone, sans an audience of thousands. To plot out how our lives would be after this colossal and wonderful but terrifying change.

"Don't know, love. Just doing as I'm told. But I could go fetch us some more beers while we wait, I s'pose."

I nod enthusiastically to that suggestion and watch more and more people disappear in the time it takes her to return. Once we've downed our beers, the stadium finally appears to have cleared out, absent security still milling about.