"Why would he want to reassure you?"

    "Because this place is a prison, and he knows I'm worried about him also. I want him to be safe." Greg appeared to still not understand.

    "Rosen is probably the safest right here. Don't worry about him," said Greg. "And also, I get you don't want to be here, but come on it's not that awful."

    "You don't get how it feels to care about someone," I sighed. "Not being with them and in a place like this will automatically make you worry." I thought a few moments before I continued, realizing I could be treading dangerous waters. But Greg always had seemed like a good guy and wouldn't want to actually hurt me. "And maybe this place doesn't seem bad to you because you grew up here, but to me this is a prison. I have a family and friends back home. I don't belong here and it's wrong that Rosen should be held against his will because he doesn't want to belong here either."

    Greg was silent after I said that, seeming unsure of how to reply.

    "You sure are different than the other breeders," he finally said after we had reached the door to my room. "Most of them barely talk to anyone, including each other, but you always seem willing to talk."

    "That's because I still have hope on having a different life," I answered. "How does the Def get the breeders anyways?" I questioned. They definitely didn't seem to be there on their own free will by the way they all presented themselves.

    Greg shrugged, something I had never seen him do. He was usually so uptight and professional as soon as we were around others, but whenever we were alone he automatically opened up to me. "I don't know. I'm not supposed to ask questions either," he replied. That answer was good enough for me because it meant that however they got the girls, it wasn't in an ethical manner.

    The next day Greg roused me from sleep and didn't even give me time to shower before rushing me off down the hall.

    "I have a surprise," he said, but didn't elaborate. I was feeling quite irritated at being woken up, and then not even getting the chance to shower before being thrown into a day of more servant work.

    "Tell me," I begged him, tying my hair into a side braid as we walked. I guess the knots in my hair would have to be dealt with later.

    "I can't," he shook his head. I was even more surprised when we exited the elevator and came out on the same floor where I had met the Council. The carpeted flooring was such a drastic difference from the tile that took up the breeder floor, and I reveled at the cushion between my aching feet. After being hustled around everyday for 12 hours a day, my body had started showing signs of fatigue. I had begun going to bed and waking up in the morning with a sore body. Not to mention that the food was only just enough for me to get by without fainting.

    We stopped just outside the door to the meeting room where I had last spoken to Rosen.

    "Am I supposed to knock?" I asked dryly, staring at the golden door knob and ornately carved designs. This was one of the few doors I had seen that didn't have a card scanner.

    "Just go inside," he ordered, but his tone was slightly amused. That was the only thing that settled the fluttering in my stomach at whatever I was about to face. For all I knew, the council could be inside waiting to put a bullet in my head because Rosen failed to follow directions.

    As my hand turned the knob and I pushed open the heavy wood door,  I couldn't help but gasp when I saw what was in front of me. Or more importantly, who was in front of me.