Chapter 18

Author's Note: As requested, here's Althea for y'all. :)

September 2015

Althea's POV

I placed my guitar at the corner stand as the applause of the audience dissipates. I made one final bow and left the mini stage to head towards Batchi who's sitting at the four seater couch beside the window.

Damn that stupid couch.

I silently cursed Batchi and huffed my way to where she was seated.

"Diyan ka pa talaga umupo? Exact place talaga?" I said angrily.

"Pasensya na Tsong, wala ng ibang upuan eh," she said nervously as she scratched her head.

"Pati bago naman yung upholstery, magkaiba na rin yan,"  she added.

I rolled my eyes at her and sipped from the steaming cup of coffee that she pre-ordered for me because she knows I'll be pissed at her after my performance.

At least she knows how to make up for it.

"Payong kaibigan Tsong, move on din ha, ilang taon na rin yan at ang pakla mo parin," she lightly punched my arm and laughed.

I punched her back, harder. I can't argue with her— she's right. And besides, I'm too pissed to come up with a witty come back.

"Asan na ba kasi yung nag imbita satin dito? I told her I wanna go home as soon as I finish my number."

"Hintayin mo na, matagal rin natin yun di nakita. Pati nakita ko siya kanina sa likod kausap yung manager," she explained.

I placed my cup back on the table and saw the initials faintly carved under the newly varnished wood. It is barely noticeable unless you know where to look or you're intentionally looking for it.

They must have tried to cover it.

Dammit.

My stupid brain can't remember basic stuff but remembers everything about her. Stupid.

I am so lightheaded, it almost feels like blood has drained from my brain. My insides, twisting and turning— forming into a tight knot.

Even my body is stupid.

Just when I'm about to stand up and walk out the door, somebody plopped herself on the empty space beside me.

"Hi, guys! I missed you!" said Cathleen in her usual perky voice.

Great. Now I really can't escape.

"Buti naman nandito ka na, nagaalburuto na itong si Madam eh," said Batchi cheerfully, obviously very happy to be around someone else other than me.

"What's wrong, Althea?" asked Cathleen worriedly.

I gave her the most deadly glare I could possibly do as she gives me that questioning look— as if she doesn't know what's wrong , when in fact— it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Look, Althea. I'm sorry, but it's good business. It's an opportunity I can't pass up."

Cathleen bought a coffee shop that is on the brink of bankruptcy. The place was well-known among locals and it serves good coffee, too bad the management was incompetent and mishandled the funds. Cathleen fixed it up, renovated the interiors a bit, changed the management, and voila— the place is now ready to operate.

And yes, this is the exact coffee shop Jade and I used to hang-out in. The same coffee shop where we first met.

Oh, the irony of it all. The coffee shop went into shambles as soon as our relationship did. For the same reason, I guess— incompetent managers. And just when things went downhill, Cathleen barged in to save the day. The coffee shop, I mean. If only that was possible with Jade and I's relationship.