seven

Song of the Chapter: "Dance With Me Tonight" Olly Murs

Karlie

Taylor tasted like a mixture of pizza and wine and lipstick, and something that was entirely her. I had no idea if we'd been kissing for five seconds or five minutes when she pulled away. Suddenly shy, I trained my glance onto the couch, instead of her striking blue eyes that seemed to have the ability to pierce through my soul. When I gained the courage to look up at her, she had a small smile painted across her lips, and the corners of her eyes were creased.

"Hey," she said.

"Hey," I said.

She took my hand and pulled me off the couch. "This is getting awkward. So let's just go make some cookies and I'll put on music, and it will get less awkward. Cookies are a universal language."

I laughed, "Whatever you say, Swift." I followed as she pulled me into the kitchen, obviously excited.

"So, what kind of music do you like?" she asked as she plugged her phone into an expensive looking speaker. At a closer glance, the back of the her phone was covered in cat stickers and the edges were slightly scuffed. It was so Taylor that I had to hug her.

"Why the sudden amount of affection?" she asked, giggling slightly.

I shrugged. "You're just really adorable."

I saw Taylor blush as she scrunched up her nose. "Thank you," she said quietly.

"Seriously though, what kind of music do you have?" I hopped up onto a barstool next to Taylor.

"Literally everything you could think of. You name it, I have it."

"Hmmmm, I feel like a gal pal cookie baking session requires some Queen Bey."

Taylor nodded seriously. "I totally agree." She scrolled through her iphone and selected a Beyonce album. Music began to blare from the speakers.

"So, what kind of cookies are we making?" I asked, following Taylor around the kitchen as she pulled various ingredients out.

"I was thinking peanut butter. You can't go wrong with a peanut butter cookie."

"Damn right."

●●●○○○●●●

About twenty fun-filled minutes later, the cookies were in the oven. "So, what do you want to do?" Taylor asked, removing her polka-dotted apron.

"Dunno," I shrugged.

Taylor rolled her eyes and smiled. "You're so borinnnggg," she said, dragging out the words. Then, grabbing her phone, she smirked, "I know what we can do--let's dance!" I groaned and looked over her shoulder as she clicked on a playlist labeled "upbeat dance-y."

I slid across the hardwood floor in my socks, trying to run away from my impending doom. Taylor, quick as a cheetah, lunged across the room and grabbed me around the waist to keep me from moving.

"C'mon, Taylor! You don't want to see me dance! I literally can't dance at all!"

Taylor threw her head back laughing. "I will bet you twenty bucks that I am a worse dancer than you."

I shook my head vigorously. "I'm broke, darling. I'm not paying you twenty bucks." Before I could protest any further, the opening chords of a song filled the room.

Taylor immediately started lip synching and throwing her body into a series of ridiculous motions. I laughed, but didn't move.

"Come on, Karlie! Dancing is supposed to be fun and unapologetic! Plus, there's no way you can be my sick moves."

I chuckled. "Sick moves, my ass! I'll show you sick moves, Swift!"

"That's the spirit!"

Finally giving in, I began to dance. I had never heard the song before, but it was kind of difficult to not dance to. Taylor had me roped in good. When the chorus started, she looked me in the eye and actually sang it. I was momentarily shocked; I had forgotten that this was Taylor Swift I was obnoxiously dancing with.

Taylor

"Oh, Baby! I just want you to dance with me tonight!" I sang loudly. This wasn't about sounding or looking good; this was about having fun. I took Karlie's hands and spun her around, until we collapsed, breathless and dizzy, onto the kitchen floor. Our laughter was impairing our speech. "Oh, god, we're idiots," I managed to force out. Then I collapsed into a fit of giggles once more.

"Yup, so mature," Karlie said, giving me her hand and pulling me up.

As the song began fading out, I marveled at how perfect tonight had turned out. I had been stressing for no reason. Whenever I was with Karlie, I could count on having a good time.

When the chorus repeated itself one last time, I somehow found Karlie's arms wrapped around me. I leaned into her back and rested the back of my head on her shoulder as I sang the last line: "I just want you to dance with me tonight."

It was nothing concrete, nothing committal, but it was certainly an evening that I didn't want to ever end.