Chapter 1

It was a chilly October evening in Washington D.C. Major John Tyler was sitting at his desk in the offices of the United States Army at the Pentagon. He was preparing his newest proposal. He had been trying to get himself heard for years already. He had done the work they wanted for over ten years. They would throw out what they wanted him to research and he would get the funding and get it done. It was always the Army's work to him, not his. He had ideas of his own, though he'd been getting shot down for years. He felt this was something they would be interested in too.

"This time, they will listen," he said to himself. Just when he did, there was a knock on the door.

"Major, the General wants to see you," a voice called to him.

Without even looking up, Tyler replied, "Gold?"

"Yes, and now," the voice replied in a firm tone.

Tyler quickly gathered his papers, adjusted his glasses, ran his fingers through his dark brown hair and brushed off his white shirt and navy pants. "Well, now or never," he sighed as he pulled his uniform jacket off the back of his chair, placed it on his back and then buttoned it up the front. Tyler checked how he looked on the screen of his computer. He felt confident, or at least as confident as one could be when going to see 'the General'. Tyler followed the tall man who had come for him to the elevators and took it down to the main floor. Then he followed him to the exit.

"A car is waiting for you," the man informed Tyler.

"Thank you," Tyler replied, exiting the building and approaching the black SUV waiting for him. Tyler climbed up into the backseat and took a deep breath as he buckled his seatbelt.

It was a short car ride to the General's mansion. It was truly a sight to behold, a much nicer home than one would expect for a man who had spent his life in the military. It was almost an estate rather than a mansion. It stood three stories high and was surrounded by over four acres of beautiful land. The General was a southern gentleman who placed his lovely estate in Virginia not too far from Washington D.C., but he never had to travel to the city to meet anyone. Everyone always came to him. Tyler always thought it was because he had the good Bourbon and it was an easy excuse to visit his beautiful home to do business. The source was 'old money,' or at least that was what everyone said about the General's massive fortune and elegant lifestyle. Tyler never knew what 'old money' actually was or even what having any money was. His one bedroom apartment spoke of his lack of a decent income despite his education and training. He was dedicated to his position in the Army and knew that it wouldn't get him the financial rewards a career in the private sector could, but he was ok with that. However, he sometimes thought it would be nicer to have more than just the necessities.

"Must be nice," Tyler mumbled to himself. Tyler held his breath. He knew it was time to hold his ground and push for what he wanted and not take no for an answer. General Gold had to listen, he had to believe him and that his theory was in fact possible. That it could be the greatest discovery in history if he could just get the funding. He wouldn't be where he was if it wasn't for the General. He had always supported his work before; why wouldn't he now? Tyler took the three large steps up to the large oak door. Each step felt like a weight dropping into his stomach as his nerves were getting the better of him. He felt his hands were shaking, so he shook them in an attempt to stop them. He didn't even have to knock; the door opened slowly and a dark-haired man stood before Tyler.

"Major, I'm Captain Stevens. It's a pleasure to meet you," Stevens extended his hand for Tyler to shake.

"Well, thank you, and nice to meet you as well," Tyler replied, shaking his hand.

"Please come in, the General is waiting," Stevens replied. He lead Tyler through the opulent foyer and into the General's study. It had a warm, yet formal feeling to it. The General's office looked like a throwback to an older, less technological time. The only thing that looked like it was newer than one hundred years old was the large flat television screen on the wall. It sat next to the mahogany bookcases that covered the remainder of the walls. Gold loved books and had an elaborate collection of books dating two centuries back. Two large red velvet chairs sat before the large oak desk with a large leather office chair sitting right behind it. In that chair, as always, sat the General, writing with a large black ink pen; stacks of papers lined on the desk.