"But, why?" She asked though she already knew the answer.

"Because you get the most amazing view from here." He looked down into her eyes and she into his. 'I can't do this...not yet' she thought. She blushed and broke eye contact.

"Yeah Hero is pretty good looking."

Cole looked stunned for a moment, but just laughed it off.

"Hahaha. Glad I changed lockers the company is so much better here."

"I know." Lillyal replied flipping her hair over her shoulder dramatically. "Come on we'll be late." She said grinning and starting off for class. The rest of the day proceeded like this and by the time she got off the bus she practically skipped to the clearing. When she got there however her good feeling vanished Hero, Rob, Eugene and Matt were already waiting.

"Rob, Matt, Eugene." She said nodding to each of them in turn, before starting to climb The Willow. The three boys followed, but when she sat down she noticed that Hero had not. Lillyal looked down at him looking up.

"What? I don't get a hello?" He shouted up.

"A hello." She yelled in reply. It might not have been exactly what he had asked for (well actually that's precisely what it was) but it seemed to satisfy him because he climbed up to sit with them.

"So, what shall we talk about?" Rob asked trying to fill the silence.

"Well I'd like to ask some questions, and get some actual answers." Lillyal stated venom dripping from the last bit of her sentence.

"Let's play the question game, only you have to answer all of them." Eugene suggested cringing away from the conflict Lillyal was trying to create.

"Ok then. I'll start shall I?" Hero asked to no one in particular.

"Sure, go for it." Lillyal replied rolling her eyes.

"What's your question?" Matt hissed.

"Oh. Umm, Rob? Were you dropped on your head as a child?"

She asked turning to face him. Matt snickered.

"No, why?" he replied.

"Ask Matt." She told him. Matt to his credit became straight face as Rob turned to him.

"Matt, why did Lilly ask that question?" He asked.

Matt, still straight faced, replied

"Well, I told her not to listen to you because you were dropped on your head as a child and are clearly not all there." All four burst out laughing as Rob's indignation grew.

"You forgot your question Matt." Eugene said finally getting himself under control.

Matt (the first one to regain his composure) turned to Hero.

"Ok so, what has she guessed and what have you told her?" He gestured towards Lillyal with his head.

"Not much and nothing. And that was two questions. Anyway it shouldn't be us asking the questions it should be her. Got any Lillyal?" He asked as all four turned to her.

"Yep, Ok. What's the council? How are you related? Do we know each other from somewhere else? Why are you here now and what does this all have to do with The Willow??" She let it all out in one big rush. Matt was the first to speak "I think we best take turns in answering those just so that we all get blame." The other three boys nodded their agreement.

"The Council is just that, a council always has been, always will be. We hope." Hero answered

"We're not related. Well not closely anyway. It's like everybody 'related' because of Adam and Eve." Matt explained tackling the second question.

"We grew up together Lil you just," Eugene sighed "don't remember it."

"You'll be 18 soon Lil and it's time to come home." Rob exclaimed excitedly "As for The Willow? Well everything begins and ends with her." He continued patting the bark next to him affectionately, he looked up at her. "Anything else?"

"Yes," she turned to Hero "what's your real name?"

The three others turned to him aswell; it was just the opportunity she needed. The whole time they had been talking Lillyal had been inching out her pepper-spray; now she pulled it out completely. She'd spray the boys (who were obviously crazy) and then bolt. First she wanted to hear Hero's answer.

"My real name," Hero said slowly "is Chase Evergreen."

Lillyal froze, the spray falling from her grasp. Then the images came flooding in, crashing over her like a tidal wave dragging her under.

In every image was either: her and Hero or her and...Cole? Then it was Matt, Rob, Eugene and fifty other nameless faces she only vaguely recognised.

Then the sounds: laughter, shouting, running, splashing, wind in the trees and, sobbing.

The smells:

Baking, burning, wood, earth, flowers, rivers, Hero and, something dead.

Last came the sensations:

Bedsheets of leaves, earth under bare feet, arms wrapped around her, a hand in hers and, ash crumbling to nothing.