Chapter 14: Going Through The Motions

Start from the beginning

"I was wonderin is ye've seen the lass in the picture?" His voice rolls over me like warm honey and I can't fight back my gasp. The two men turn to look at me as I push myself further into the booth against the wall. I can't seem decided if I'm happy, angry, or scared. The boys leap up and stand in front of me as the two men look closer at me. Their gazes slide over me as I start to shake. I feel it when I lose control and shift into my real form. Biting my lip I slide to the end of the booth. Ainle and Abel are behind Caine so they hold their hands out to help me out of the booth. The girl behind the counter is staring at me in shock as the two men fall to thier knees. Their eyes on my bulging stomach. I blink back tears as I nod to Caine and the three of them move to the side. I stare down at the two men, fighting back sorrow.

"Con, Liam. Glad to know you aren't dead. That's one last less thing Con can't blame on me." And I turn my back on them and walk out. The boys following me. We get a block before they catch up. I want to run to them and leap into their arms. Except I've been alone for three months and they hadn't come after me. I know I'm not the soft shy girl they knew anymore. I don't have any give left inside me. I have to fight not to hit them or kiss them. I'm so screwed up. Abel clutches my hand as I look them over. Con's all scruffy and has two black eyes and fresh claw marks on his chest. Liam looks gaunt and pale. I don't think either one of them has been sleeping. Well, good neither have I.

"What?" They flinch at my tone. I growl then turn and head back to the house. Everyone follows me as we walk back to the house. I unlock the door and walk in, the boys following me. Con and Liam stop at the door staring at me.

"Are you coming in?" Con recovers first.

"You've been staying two blocks from the club the whole time?" I laugh bitterly.

"Yep. Jarek would never guess I stayed this close to you and I would know if you were looking for me. Which you haven't been." Ainle places a hand on my back and I smile as I ruffle his hair. I start to speak as my stomach churns. I gasp, gagging.

"Shit." The boys spring into action leading me to the bathroom. I forget about Con and Liam as I throw up a very lovely banana split. As my stomach settles I lay my head on my arm as hands rubs my back. I don't even try to fight the tears as they spring up in my eyes. It helps that they don't give me stupid excuses on why they haven't been looking for me. They seem to know I'm going to need their actions to speak for them and not their words. I groan as the second wave hits and I throw up again. When I'm done I hold my hands up and warm calloused finger wrap around me and pull me to my feet. I don't look at them as I walk to the sink and brush my teeth but I can't stop the tears from leaking out of my eyes.

After I'm done I walk back to the kitchen to see that Caine has poured me a glass of iced tea and Abel has set out some crackers. Ainle pulls out my chair and I sit down. I look at the boys.

"Go play Halo. I'll be fine." They frown but I roll my eyes and they nod and leave. I hear Ainle mutter something as they walk down the hallway. I hear Abel chuckle then I hear a thunk.

"Caine quit shoving your brother." I hear him speak as they walk into the game room.

"How does she do that? It's so creepy." I laugh as I give my typical answer.

"Because I have eyes in the back of my head." The boys chuckle as I hear the game come on. I look at Liam and Con. Con's rubbing his chest and I know it's from being so close to me. I take a bite of my crackers before I speak.

"Tell me..." And the alarm goes off. Cursing I reach under the table and pull Liam's sword from the holster under the table as the boys run from the back room. Abel and Ainle come with swords and Caine has a gun. I keep my back to the cabinets as I look at Caine. He glances at his watch and points to the kitchen sink and holds up three fingers. Liam and Con are standing on either side of me. They follow when I move so I'm in front of the table at an angle from the sink. I hold out my sword as Caine points to the sink. There's a shimmering in the air and a figure appears as Caine cocks his gun. I notice immediately who it is but I don't lower my sword as Kade raises his hands in the air.