Chapter 1: Crawling

CHAPTER 1

CRAWLING

ASH POV

I sit in the corner shaking in cold and fear as blood drips down my cheek. I know he won't be back for a couple of days since he's already done what he'd came to do but I can't make myself move. I don't know how much time passes before I slide off the bed to the floor but I finally manage it. I go to stand but my legs collapse beneath me and I fall back to the floor, slamming my head on the night stand table. I start to cry out but quickly shove my fist in my hand and bite down.

I can't make noise; it's bad to make noise. After the dizziness passes I crawl to the bathroom and manage to get in the bathtub. I sit in the hot water and gradually relax enough wash the blood off my skin. It's not anything I haven't seen before, blood that is. I was always covered in it or soaking in it. I sigh and step out of the tub and dry myself off. Then I brush my blonde hair into a ponytail. I'm sliding on my clothes when the door slams open.

I bite back a scream and stumble back as I trip on my pants and fall back into the tub. Laughter rolls through the air as he walks over to me and I do scream then. Daddy may not be back yet but he was still here. And he is worse than Daddy. He smirks at me and grabbing my arm yanks me from the tub. I start to shake with fear as his claws sink into my arm and he speaks.

"Now little Ash, you know how I like to hear you scream. We both know I'm the reason your room is sound proof. And now Jack will be gone for days so I can have you all to myself. I start to struggle then as another scream escapes me. But I know I can't get away. I can never get away.

...............

"ASH! Wake up lass. Ye're having a nightmare again." My eyes fly open as I grasp the hand holding me and go to flip them over me as I rise to a sitting position. I hear them crash into the wall and I cover my head as I start to rock back and forth.

"Lass, did ye remember something again?" I stop rocking as his voice sinks in and I look over to see Liam slumped against the wall. His red hair is all over the place and his emerald green eyes are staring at me in concern. I blush when I realize I've just thrown him into a wall. I stop rocking and lower my arms as I meet his eyes but he just stands and chuckles at me. I blush again and my eyes slide from him to the tie-dye bedspread. I feel him sit down beside me and I force myself not to lean in. He deserves way better than me as a mate. Anyone would be better than the pathetic excuse for a shifter I am. Scratch that I'm not even a shifter, I'm a Bezerker. My sister (cousin) is Queen Realtin of the leopards. She has recently had six cubs with her two mates Luke and Gabe. Two days ago Liam, my mate (kind of), Phelan, a nightmare demon, and a few of the guards had left our lands so I could go on a quest to find the son I didn't even know existed. Oh, and I am supposed to help Cara, a girl in Riki's father's clan. And of course we can't forget about picking up Noella's sister from the mental institution.

"Lass, are ye okay." I blink, drawn from my thoughts, as I look up to see how close I am to Liam's face. Emerald green eyes stare into me as my eyes roam over his facial features. From his chiseled jaw to his full pouty lips. Those lips I pull back before I give in to the urge to kiss him as I speak.

"I...I'm fine, Liam. It was just another memory. I thought I remembered everything but obviously not." He reaches out a hand and sets it on my shoulder, caressing the back of my neck. I shiver but still don't look at him. I look instead at the swirling purple paint of the walls as he speaks.

"What did ye dream lass?" Flashes of blood and pain flash before my eyes and I close my eyes so I can will my tears away as I shrug off his hand and stand.

"Not now Liam. I....I know you're frustrated that I....you can't fully mate with me but I'm not a good choice. I'm sorry but can I just be alone, please?" I open my eyes as Liam sighs and stands and I struggle not to stare at his broad, muscular, bare chest as he walks forward and caresses my cheek before dropping his hand.

"I'm in no hurry lass. As long as we stay near each other it's not as bad. Ye take all the time ye need." He flashes me a million dollar smile before walking out of the room. Knowing I can't be trapped in here anymore I quickly stride over to my bags and pull a black t-shirt over my head. I leave on my pajama bottoms before tying up my hair in a ponytail. I slide on shoes then peak out the window, contemplating. Shaking my head and glancing at the door I slide out the window to the ground. I swiftly I dash across the hotel parking lot and down the street. Luckily no one sees me and I soon relax.

As I walk down the dark street I'm grateful for the bright street light since I'm not a big fan of the dark. Wrapping my arms around my middle I walk quickly to my destination. Thankfully it's only three streets over from the motel we're staying in. I walk up to the cashier behind the register I give her money for a ticket to the midnight showing of 'Breaking Dawn part 2'. Chick flick I know but I love the 'Twilight' movies. I walk up to the concession stand, ignoring the girl behind the counter as best I can. I ask for a large popcorn and large Mt. Dew. I'm glad when she finally turns around to get the popcorn. I get it. Not only am I 5'6 with dirty blonde hair that's matted from where I didn't brush it but I'm wearing my pajamas and I'm chunky. Yes, chunky. Don't ever say you're fat around Riki (Realtin). She'd bite my damn head off. I sigh as the cashier turns and slides me my stuff then quickly walks away. Picking up my stuff I hand over my ticket and walk into the movie.

..................

Three hours later I'm heading back to the motel and seriously wishing I hadn't taken this creepy ass side street. I could barely see but at least I was close to the motel. Did I mention I hated the dark. As I go to step out of the alley way a hand reaches out and yanks me back into a hard chest. I'm so surprised someone got the jump on me that I don't start to struggle until they pull me into a door I hadn't seen in the darkness. As the door slams shut I slam my foot into their instep then reaching back I grasp at their jeans. Then I grab and yank. Yep, whoever this is he's a guy. He yelps and stumbles back as I whirl to face him. I'm shaking with fear as he brushes himself off and stand. I'm pathetic I can't even fight properly unless I'm in a Bezerker rage cause technically I gave up my beast to protect my son. I eye the man as he goes to step closer and something seems familiar about him but I can't quite place it until her speaks.

"Well, hello there Ash. And how have you been." I start to tremble harder as a whimper escapes my throat. It's him the man from my memories. The man I had just dreamed about. I'm so distracted that I don't realize he's stepped closer until her grasps my arms and yank me to him. I scream once and he grasps my arms tighter as he smiles.

"Go ahead and scream baby. You know I like it when you scream."

A/N:  I tried to give you a little rundown on the basics of the last book 'Standing'.  Let me know what you think of Ash's predicament.