I Come To You In Pieces

"It wasn't Gabriel's fault, Dean." Castiel said quietly. Dean's body was still shaking with sobs.

"I know…it was mine. It was my job to protect him, Cas, I should have made him wait while I was drawing those Anasazi and we could have came out together." Castiel was about to protest to it being his fault either, but they heard an awful screech come from Moose and then the Wendigo was barreling towards them. Gabriel stepped in front of Dean and Castiel, but most importantly, Sam's body, and opened his arms wide.

"He asked you to stay and draw those protection circles around me…knowing full well I didn't need it. My sweet little idiot." He whispered gently, ready and willing to let the Wendigo tear him to pieces. The Wendigo was inches away and Gabriel closed his eyes, almost eagerly awaiting the pain he thought he deserved. A few moments passed and not only did he feel nothing, but he could hear the Wendigo making the most awful noises. He opened his eyes to discover that Castiel had pried the flare gun from Sam's hand and torched the damn thing. It fell to the ground dead, it's body still sizzling and Gabriel turned damp eyes to the younger angel.

"How could you, Castiel? I wanted it to get me, I want to be with Sam!" He wailed, enormous sobs ripping through his chest.

"You're an angel, Gabriel. All that monster would have done was destroy your vessel, not kill you, and Sam was attracted to that vessel…don't you want to preserve it?" Dean looked proudly up at Castiel.

"Castiel is a hunter now, Gabriel. That's what we do, we gank things. I for one, have never been more proud of him." He growled in approval, happy that his lover had just avenged his brother.

"Give me your knife, Dean." Gabriel asked bitterly.

"My knife?" He nodded.

"The one that kills angels, give it." Dean reached in his coat but Castiel quickly slapped him on the arm.

"Dean, no! You are not helping him kill himself." He scolded. Dean looked into Gabriel's cold dead eyes and was sure they mirrored his own right now.

"Cas, I'm not going to be a hypocrit. If I ever lost you the first thing I'd do would be to fling myself off a bridge and pray I still went to heaven to see you." This obviously saddened Castiel greatly but he chose not to argue, knowing if the roles were reversed he'd do the same thing. Dean fished out the knife and gave it to Gabriel.

"I guess Cas and I will meet you two again eventually. Take care of Sammy, you hear me?" Gabriel nodded woefully and bent down to capture Sam's lips one last time.

"I'm coming home to you, Sam. Don't worry, we'll be together soon." As Gabriel took a deep breath and aimed the dagger at his heart Castiel whispered to Dean.

"You know how you told me that hunters never leave shelter without a knife?" Dean's eyebrows shot up in confusion and then his face contorted into absolute chagrin when he looked over at his lover. He had carved a sigil into his forearm and right as Gabe went to stab himself Castiel laid his hand in the center.

"No!" Dean screamed, fear for the welfare of his unborn child consuming him as both angels were banished back to heaven. Dean's heart seemed to break into a thousand more pieces and he just laid there, clutching his dead brother, and listening to the sounds of their severely injured hell-hound in the distance.

Castiel hadn't seen heaven in a long time, it almost surprised him once he and Gabriel were up there. Gabriel shot Castiel a nasty glare.

"I didn't want to go to this part of heaven…I want to be with the dead. I want Sam." Now it was Castiel's turn to glare.

"Do you have any idea how bad Sam would feel when he found you? I'd bet you anything he'd rather die all over again than watch you destroy yourself, because that's what happens when you all in love, suddenly you want nothing but the best for that one person that is special to you and I know Samuel would agree with me that dying is not what's best." Gabriel just pouted.