"We can do this," I insisted. Robin nodded and smiled softly in response. It took me by surprise, but I quickly pushed the initial shock away. He looked so much younger and happier when he smiled. His smile could brighten up the room, and judging by the envious glares I was receiving from girls and boys alike, no one would disagree. I didn't know why I couldn't tear my eyes away from his.

"Robin! You're here." Robin immediately broke our eye-contact to look at the woman who had interrupted us. I breathed a small sigh of relief, internally scolding myself.

This is a job, Alex! Don't get sucked into his damned baby blues!

I looked up to see a beautiful middle-aged woman dressed in a salmon pink gown. She had smooth, tanned skin, a thick, wavy mane of deep brown hair and strikingly blue eyes. She looked like she was of Brazilian descent, but I couldn't be entirely sure.

"Mom," Robin greeted, his smile replaced by a slight frown. At that, I realized why the woman looked so familiar. She had the same deep blue eyes Robin had. Like her son, she had an air of superiority and arrogance that surrounded her.

"And who is this?" his mother asked, trying not to look disappointed at her son's reaction to her greeting. Her curious, calculating gaze landed on me.

"This is Alexandra Knight. She's my...girlfriend," Robin introduced uncomfortably. My grip on his arm tightened slightly.

Don't blow our cover, you idiot.

At that, Robin's mother raised an eyebrow, and inspected me from head to toe. It was nerve-wrecking, to say the least. When her unreadable expression was finally replaced with a slight smile, I let out a small breath that I didn't know I was holding.

"I'm Michelle, Robin's mother," she introduced, putting her hand out for me to shake. I took her hand in mine and gave it a firm shake.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Clair."

"How did you meet Robin?" Michelle asked, as if she was interviewing me for a job.

"Mother, we're here to have a good time, not be interviewed," Robin warned, scowling.

"No, no. It's alright," I said, offering his mother a small smile. "The two of us met at the Academy. I just started my studies there this year."

"I see," Michelle said. She looked like she was about to ask me another question before she shot me a tight-lipped smile when Robin gave her another warning look. The two had a silent stare down and I suddenly felt very uncomfortable standing there. Finally, his mother sighed and pursed her lips.

"Well, go mingle around with the guests. I'm sure everyone is curious to find out who the girl Robin took to the dance is," Michelle Clair said to me with a tight smile before excusing herself.

"Sorry about that," Robin mumbled, but I could only nod. Michelle Clair was incredibly intimidating.

"Come on, I need to speak to some of the guests," Robin sighed. I glanced at him, pursing my lips when I noticed how tired and just generally unhappy he looked.

"Hey, Robin," I piped up suddenly, whispering softly so only he could hear me. Robin raised an eyebrow at me.

"Did you hear about the guy that got hit in the head with a can of soda?" I asked, trying to conceal my silly grin. He stared at me as if I grew a second head.

"He was lucky it was a soft drink," I whispered, winking dramatically. Taking me completely by surprise, he started to laugh. A loud, hearty chuckle. And I had to admit, he looked ten times younger and more attractive. I couldn't help but grin in return.