Chapter One: Enter, the Pathetic Dweeb Type!

Excited murmurs echoed in the classroom on the other side of the door as a more prominent voice and my new homeroom teacher, Fukui Sensei, finished addressing them about "the exciting new student" who will be joining their class for the remainder of the school year. My eyes scanned across the hallways absently, taking in the surroundings. This classroom was marked with a sign reading 2A, stating that I was in the first class of the second year high schoolers. The hall was beautiful; pearly marble tiles with pale pink hallways that had elegant carvings in the trimmed wood accents.

The volume in the classroom increased for a moment, then immediately lowered when the teacher's voice raised slightly. Curiously leaning closer to the door, I tried to make out what she was saying; "—this new student happens to come from America, so if his Japanese isn't the best, please refrain from teasing him. He's also quite poor; he earned a scholarship through hard work, similarly to the new first-year, Fujioka-San. I doubt that he has the ability to pay for the uniform, so don't peg him as a slacker if he shows up in alternative clothing." She took a breath, seeming to gather the proper words before settling on, "Please try your best to make him feel at ease!" A short pause and a murmur of agreement signaled that the teacher would allow me to enter the room now.

Quickly stepping away from the doorway, the sound of footsteps on the opposite side of the door gradually increased until the cheery smile of Kurui Sensei appeared at the doorway. She opened the door, and I could already feel her eyes giving me a quick once-over. Her lips quicker up in a content smile before chiming in an all-too-cheery-tone, "Come on in!"

"O-okay." Biting my lip, I shakily stepped into my new classroom, feeling as though my heart would burst at any second from how hard it thundered against my ribs. I pulled at my tie, feeling as if it was tied just a little too tight, almost constricting, but not quite. The second that the students noticed my presence, all chatter stopped.

Dead silence.

I felt color rush to my face as my eyes flickered over the students uneasily, my insides filled with flittering, uncomfortable butterflies that absolutely refuse to stop moving. "H-hey...I...um...My name is—uh—Niles. Ni-Niles Prescott... And I, uh, would really—um—like if you'd... if you'd be...well, be nice to me... Well, not that you have to! It's your choice, but—I'd kinda, sorta, really like if you'd treat me well..." my voice trailed off into barely the equivalent of a soft whisper. Releasing a shaky sigh, I looked to the students uncertainly. I'm a total idiot! I stuttered so much that they probably think I'm stupid'

The class remained silent, and a few long moments passed before the class burst into chatter. Over half of the ladies burst into fits of squealing and exclamations like, "Kyaaaaaa~!" "How adorable!" and, "So cute!" The men ranged from disapproving snorts to nods of approval. Though, one blonde in particular stood out from the rest of the crowd, offering a curious gaze and a charming smile before spinning around in his seat and whispering something to a handsome, dark-haired teen with glasses.

"C-can I—uh...go to my seat now?" I gave the teacher a helpless look, practically begging her to help divert the class' attention. She returned the gesture with a sympathetic smile.

"Oh! Yes, of course," Yukui Sensei nodded, giving the room a brief scan for empty seats. "How about you sit in front of Suoh-kun? Suoh-kun, will you please raise your hand?" She motioned over in the direction of the blonde teen, who's hand immediately spring high into the air. His bright violet eyes were warm and welcoming, seeming to silently offer friendship.

I returned the gesture with a small smile despite the fear that still lingered, and speed walked towards my new desk while clutching my books to my chest tightly. I could feel all of the eyes of the students burning holes into me, and finally understood how prey feels before the kill. Like a lamb to the slaughter.