"First of ll you're probably two to three years older than me. Second 'ain't is a word for uneducated people, which is ironic cause you're obviously educated." She rolls her eyes and waves a my badge. "And third of all I said Rob. Then she starts to get a really worried look on her face. "Rob where are you?" She says more to herself than anyone.

"Who's Rob?" I asked calmly.

She gives me a curious look. Maybe I didn't ask as calmly as I thought... "My little brother." She starts pacing back and forth, then turns to Amanda. She took a step toward her anger again filling her beautiful face. "If he is hurt because of this you are going to regret it." Amanda flinched away from her.

I felt no sympathy for Amanda but it was my job to protect her, whether I wanted to or not. "Come on, let's go find him. How old is he?" I ask her.

She turns around with one last warning look at Amanda and looks at me, the worry evident in her eyes. "He's eight. Has blonde hair green eyes." Suddenly I remember the boy from before. 'Idiot!' I don't know how I didn't noticed it before. From the distance the two look nothing alike, so I raise my eyebrows at the word brother.

"Same mom, different dad." She states seeing the slight movement on my face. At that she turns around to Amanda, "Don't even say a word." She warns, talking about how her and her brother have two different dads.

"Let's go find him." I said, "Come on." I start walking the opposite way the ambulance is coming, the way Alex was heading, before Amanda opened her mouth.

Apparently my fast paced walking isn't fast enough for her as she starts running down the sidewalk. That's when I realized how fast this girl is. Only someone with dedicated training can run fast, unless a hybrid. But I don't smell anything except the floral scent coming off of her. I catch up to her.

She doesn't acknowledge my presence. "Rob!" she yells.

Suddenly a tired looking boy came out of the alleyway running to Alex. She sighs relieved that she found her little brother and everything was alright. "Alex!" He pauses hugging his sister. "There was this scary guy in there," he points to the alleyway, the one he came out of. "He had a big dog it looked like a wolf but bigger!" I stiffen and sniff the air. Someone's deffinetly been here, but is now long gone. He paused and dramaticly ran his hand through his hair. I smile thinking how Pierce always seemed to do that. Pierce always said it was a bad habit he learned from his brother. The kid went on, "It growled at me at first, but then te man told it to hush and said I was a friend and it stoppped!"

Alex looks into the alleyway, then back at her brother and bends down. I watch the alleyway looking for any movement, but know that whoever it was is gone there scent slowly fading away but still there. "Did he offer you anything?" Alex asks searching her brother, like she knew who it was and was worried for his life.

"Yeah it was like a necklace. It had an eye in the middle of it." Rob explains, and I see Alex slightly stiffen. "But I refused because I know ow you are about taking stuff from strangers." She relaxes a little at that but not all of the way.

"Good, thank you. Did he say anything else?" She asked holding her breath.

"Yeah when I refused and said that you wouldn't like it he said that you didn't have to know, but i refused again and said no thanks and he said it was ok, and then you caled and I said bye."

"Is that it?" She asked.

"No... Alex?" Rob fidgeted on his feet.

"What? What's wrong?" She asked

"He said he would see me again someday, someday soon. And that we would get to know each other real well and that then he wouldn't be a stranger." Her face went grve. "Alex I don't want to get to know him he scares me. He reminds me of Uncle."

"That's not gonna hapen if I can help it." She hugs him. "No one. No one is going to take you away from me."

He nods and hugs his big sister.

She stands up and takes his hand, making sure he's as far away from the alleyway as possible. We head back to the car, at about halfway Alex skids to a halt. "Did you say something?" I shake my head no.

"Why whats wrong?" I ask her.

"Nothing I guess I'm just a little on edge." She sighs. I see Pierce wave me over.

"Come on." She looks down at her wrists, and puts her hands behind her back but quickly glances at the alleyway worred. She turns her back toward me, head downn. "You've been coorperative so far lets keep it that way." She nods and I take that as a sign she won't try anything. I put my arms around her protectively, she faulters a little but quickly covers it up with a straight face and keeps walking.

I noticed that while we walked away Alex kept a watchful eye on the alleyway, as if worried something would jump out and attack at any moment.

As soon as we reached Pierce the kids stomach growled really loud and both the kid and Alex looked embarassed, though i could see a smile tug at Alex's lips as Pierce laughed deeply. Alex blushed.

"Well Officer Payne I'm a little hungry what about you would you mind taking a little detour?: He winked and I knew he was only doing it for the kids benefit Niether of them looked like they had a decent meal recently, the girl more then the boy.

I nodded, "Yeah it's been a long shift. I could use a nice big meal myself." He nodded agreeing with me ever though our shift just started about a half hour ago.

"I think we should keep these two tor a little bit so we don't get sued by that young ladies family. He nodded toward the black car that's driving away with Amanda in it. "What do you two think? Could you go for a bite?"

"I wouldn't want to impose-" Alex started but saw her brother nodding eagerly and gave in. She sighed. "That would be nice thank you." She gave in.

"Alright it's settled let's go." Pierce said an I head to open he door for Alex. She slides in the back. Her brothers about to slide in when Pierce talks. "Hey kid, you ever ride in the front of a cop car before?" Rob shakes his head no, eyes wide excited. I smile, remembering the first time I sat in the front of a cop car. "Well get on up her then!" Rob looked at Alex asking for mermission, she saw the sparkle in his eyes and couldn't say no. She nodded smiling. This is gonna be a ride that this kid will never forget. Little did I know it was gonna be for me too.