Safe (Finnick)

Okay so I GOT A FALSE ALARM TODAY! What was supposed to be an exam today turned out to be an exam scheduled for TOMORROW! :( So unfortunately my update schedule would have to be changed a bit, but whatever, I'm still going to write this request up because I'm sure all of you have been waiting FOREVER for an update.

This is requested by Azula89, I think. 

"No, Finnick, I don't want to!" you cried, pulling your hand away from his for the millionth time. Yes, he wanted you to go swimming with him again, and this time, he seemed very insistent about it.

"Why not, (Y/N)?" Finnick asked now.

You groaned as you put your head in your hands, scared out of your mind. Though you've spent your entire life in district 4, you weren't used to the water, and being in it scared the hell out of you. Before, you were fine with it, but now you were scared. Ever since your friend drowned in it at the Hunger Games one year, you couldn't even stare at a wide expanse of water without seeing your friend's dead body in there.

And now? You couldn't even tell your best friend Finnick about this. With him being your boyfriend and all, one slip about your true reason you were scared of the water would probably freak him out. Or even permanently end your relationship.

"(Y/N)? Is something wrong?" Finnick asked, his voice more gentle as he approached you, his hand on your shoulder.

Might as well tell him the truth, right? You took a deep breath...and burst into tears. 

"I'm scared, Finnick," you managed to squeak out. 

"Scared? (Y/N), you're the bravest person I have ever--"

"I'M SCARED OF WATER!"

There! Your secret was out. For a moment, tense silence hung in the air for a good 10 seconds before Finnick spoke, his voice hollow.

"(Y/N). I never knew," he whispered, pulling you into his strong arms as you wept. "What--why--?"

"My friend," you said bitterly, sobbing into his shirt. "My friend drowned one year in the Hunger Games, remember? The year Annie won?"

"Your friend...from...which district?" Finnick asked.

You swallowed with great difficulty. "District 8."

"Oh." Finnick nodded as he hugged you tightly. "Hey. It's okay. I'm sorry about your friend, I really am."

"And to think that I'd still be okay to touch water," you grumbled.

Finnick laughed lightly as he looked at you in the eye. "(Y/N), you'll be okay. You won't drown. I won't let you."

You found yourself captivated by Finnick's strange golden brown eyes as you nodded to every word he just said. "You sure about this?" you asked softly. 

"I'm sure." 

With that, you felt Finnick take your hand as he lead you to the beach on the outskirts of the district, the ocean lapping gently and crashing over the rocks, the turf. The sight made you shiver slightly, but Finnick was gentle.

"Hey. It's okay. It'll be okay," he soothed, helping you take off your shoes as he lead you to the wetter part of the turf, the both of you standing on the wet sand and allowing the waves to wash over your feet. A faint smile appeared on your face at the soothing wet sensation over your feet, and you relaxed a bit more.

"It's...not so bad," you realized. 

"Alright. Now what about this?" Finnick then took off his shirt and threw it on the dry sand, then dove into the water, popping his head out on the surface and shaking the water out of his hair. "You can do that?"

Now you tensed. "Uh..."

"Come on! It won't hurt. It'll be okay, I promise."

You shrugged as you took off your shirt as well, your swimming bra underneath. You slowly waded further into the water, but you didn't make it very far before you started to shiver, and you brought your hands up to your arms, paralyzed in terror at the thought of actually having to dive in there and completely submerge yourself in the water...

"I can't!" you cried, trembling. 

"Hey. It's not evil. You won't drown, I promise," Finnick said, going over to you and gently cupping your cheek with his wet hand. "It's not like the Games."

"Finnick--"

"It'll be okay. I'll be here to save you," Finnick promised. 

You nodded as you took a deep breath, pushing down all thoughts of terror, and dove in, the water completely surrounding you. You opened your eyes--a clear crystalline blue surrounded you, small fish swimming around in the water and the sun shining above you making it look like a completely different world altogether. You smiled in spite of yourself, and eventually you came up for air, surfacing beside Finnick who grinned at you.

"Well? How did it go?" he asked. 

"I almost forgot how amazing it looked," you admitted. 

"See? This isn't the Games at all. The ocean is always calm," Finnick assured you, pulling you into yet another close embrace that made your heart go crazy. "As long as you know how to swim, you'll live."

"Funny, because my friend knew how to swim. She just didn't stand a chance against the huge dam breakage," you murmured. 

"Must be a Gamemaker thing," Finnick said in slight distraction, recalling how Annie got out of the flood alive. "It's okay, (Y/N). She didn't stand a chance against the Gamemakers. But this is more natural. You can agree right?"

"Nature can't kill you unless you're not careful," you murmured now, feeling yourself relax again under his touch.

Finnick nodded. "Exactly. It's okay to be scared sometimes, but not here. Not when the natural rhythm of the ocean is here to calm you," he said. "It's okay, (Y/N). You'll be safe here. You're safe here."

Safe. Safe. Of course, you were. Not only in the ocean, once more, where you once spent many of your olden days.

But also in Finnick's arms. 

"Thanks, Finnick," you whispered, closing your eyes as the water gently lapped over the both of you, your arms around Finnick for a very, very long time.

I don't even know. :( I mean, this COULD happen in the arena but...I don't know. Blank on ideas, shall we say? 

I know I still have another Finnick X Reader request in the waiting, but I'm probably going to wait till I see Mockingjay Part 2 to write it (which I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN YET!! Screw my stupid schedule and exams! :( ) so yeah. 

It's weird, though! A false alarm on my exams...it definitely WAS my poor memory. 

-magic_mockingjay