Chapter 36: The Truest Belief

Începe de la început

Andrew's head snapped over to mine and his eyes scurried across me quickly, as if trying to work out my emtions, but I'm a pretty unreadable person. 'Sure.' He offered, sending me a toothy grin.

'I was just wondering, is it weird that I'm here? I mean, isn't it different?' I wondered confused. Andrew stroked his chin, pondering my question carefully.

'Of course it is.' He said, letting his hands drop and smack onto his thighs. 'Of course it's different to have a girl, particularly someone Pan actually loves- because he's incapable of love, so it is a-' I cut him off.

'I don't think Pan's incapable of love.' I interjected, and Andrew raised an eyebrow.

'He is, except when it comes to you.' He sighed, his eyes drifted across to the Lost Boys. 'But just because you're a new experience, doesn't mean it's a bad one. The Lost Boys all see you as their mother and you're the best mother we could ask for. You're also fun and funny and know how to make Pan smile. Since the day you came back, he's been much more cheerful about things, even though he was skeptical about you finding the owner of the Heart of the Truest Believer as the Shadow said you would.'

'I see...' I mumbled, lulling these thoughts over in my mind. 'But, Lost Girl to Lost Boy, everyone else is boys. There is no place in the Lost Boys for a Lost Girl like me, Andrew.'

'Tiger Lily,' Peter Pan came up behind me and I jumped around to see him. He continued to speak in a voice that no woman has ever yet been able to resist, 'Tiger Lily, Tiger Lily, one Lost Girl is more valuable and special than all of the Lost boys.'

'Some statement from a guy who has tried to kill me twice,' I counter argued. Pan chuckled, sending me a knowing look.

'Oh, more than that,' He winked and then turned his attention back to Andrew, who was sitting rather awkwardly, wondering whether to leave as our flirtatious behaviour was making him slightly uncomfortable. Pan ordered him sternly, 'Andrew, go join the party, you look like you need laughter and a bit of fun.'

''Kay,' Andrew replied submissively and reluctantly obeyed, without saying a word, leaving me alone again with him. Peter Pan carefully watched Andrew leave, his eyes narrowing with curiosity until he was far enough away to not hear us and now too engrossed in a conversation to glance back to see what was happening.

'What did he want?' Pan asked, casually plopping onto the seat beside me.

'Just to talk.' I mumbled honestly, but it came out almost nervously, realising how unsatisfactory this answer was to Pan when I encountered his raised eyebrow.

'Hm.' It was clear that Pan thought I was hiding something, but didn't bother asking me, especially when I was staring him out with my eyebrow war.  'I think you should talk to Henry, I'll join you on a moment.'

My eyes followed his to land on Henry, sitting alone and looking like he needed company and reassurance. I didn't need to be told twice, so hopped to my feet and moved away from Pan towards Henry.

I hadn't seen Henry since his arrival, feeling too awkward because of how I tricked him, even though apparently he had already tried to shoot Pan, I had missed this.

'You don't want to join the celebration, Henry?' I asked calmly, but Henry paused and glared at me for a moment, still angry that I betrayed him. When Pan wasn't around, I would apologise properly and explain everything, but right now I needed to pretend to agree with Pan.

'Nothing to celebrate,' Henry replied in a grumble, looking morosely around at the excitable Lost Boys.

'Nothing to celebrate? Henry this whole party is to celebrate you,' I said cheerfully, my smile widening. Pan came forward, slinking an arm around my waist and closing the distance between us. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, trying not to cringe or freeze at his cold, possessive touch.

'Me? Why?' Henry asked, puzzled.

'Because you've come to save magic, of course.' Peter replied gleefully.

Then, as Henry merely stared at us, I smiled at him encouragingly, then said with glee, 'And I for one can't think of a reason more deserving of celebration than that.'

'Just look at them,' Pan finished and Henry's eyes left mine to follow Pan's gaze to the Lost Boys, all dancing and cheering.

'I'm not like them... or you,' Henry replied, averting his attention from the celebrating Lost Boys at the bonfire to us once again. I sighed, suddenly feeling sorry for him again because of how afraid and threatened he must have felt.

'Sure you are, you're still a boy,' I said softly, giving Henry my biggest fake smile, but it still felt weak because I understood Henry more than anyone: he was being held against his will.

Pan retrieved his panpipes from out of his pocket and I looked shyly at them, remembering the day when I gave them to him many, many years ago. I was surprised that he still had kept them all of this time. 'Maybe a song will get you on your feet.'

Peter lifted the pipes up to his lips and began blowing into them, allowing the beautiful melody to encapsulate the Lost Boys and drive them to further, even more enthusiastic and cheerful celebration.

Henry looked confused and his eyes wandered between me and Pan, unsure of what was meant to be happening. He then stuttered, 'Sorry, I-I don't hear anything.'

My eyes widened and they briefly met Pan's. In my own triumph that I may be able to help Henry off the island and back to the safety of his family if he really wasn't lost, I said softly, 'Interesting.'

My eyes met Pan's, who glowered at my interference once again. He frowned back at Henry, not expecting this reaction from him. 'You see this pipe's enchanted, Henry. It can only be heard by certain children.'

'Like who? You and Tiger Lily?' Henry asked, looking at me in curiosity.

I turned to Pan, wondering whether it was appropriate for me to tell Henry yet, only to see his gaze elsewhere. His eyes met Felix, who was coming in from the forest and stood in the centre of the gaggle of Lost Boys expectantly.

'You'll find out soon enough, I promise,' Peter said and stood up from the log facing Henry to go and confront Felix. I slipped down next to Henry and sent him a warm, comforting smile.

'It's going to be alright, Henry, I promise,' I told him, my hand finding his to give his fingers a small, gentle squeeze. He sent me a wavering smile, having sensed the tension between me and Pan, but it was clear that Henry didn't properly trust me yet.

'I know, my family are coming to get me. We always find each other.' I sent him another reassuring smile, understanding why he was the owner of the Heart of the Truest Believer. Secretly, I wanted to meet such a family that cares for Henry this much. I wondered what it would feel like to have people to protect you so that you didn't have to learn to survive on your own.