Chapter 41- Second Chances [E]

Mulai dari awal

"Is something amiss? If it is not to your liking I can have them make-"

"I can't eat all of this. It's too much, I'll become sick." Pointing to the filet minion, steamed vegetables, lobster, French fries, garlic bread and other smaller dishes scattered along the table.

"When have you eaten last?" He asked.

"A few hours ago." Annie replied in a small voice, watching the candles on the center of the table sway in the air.

"When was the last time you've eaten a full meal, Angelica?" Julien asked her in a stern voice, his eyes scanning her figure looking displeased. Julien almost never used her full name, since he said it Annie's heart raced in panic. She knew he wasn't going to like her answer.

"You're skin and bones! Why have you not been taking care of yourself?" He demanded angrily when she did not answer.

He was scolding her like a child. Annie wanted to feel annoyed but did not have the heart to disappoint him nor the energy to fight. "Most women feel better when they eat and it has the opposite effect on me. I was unhappy, and when I'm upset, food is the last thing I'll want." She explained. "So please don't worry. I promise to eat better now." 

"I want you healthy. You've lost too much weight as it is." Julien stood from his seat placing his chair next to Annie's. "I will be taking care of you from now on."

Julien, as attentive as ever, insisted he feed her, and he did just that.  After enjoying the assortment of foods, Annie settled back in her chair with a sigh, placing her hand against her stomach.  "I can't eat anymore."  She murmured with a sigh. 

Julien quirked an eyebrow saying nothing, refilling her cup with ice water.  She ate everything he offered her without complaint.   It gave him a sense of pleasure to know he was giving her substance.   He needed her back to her old self. They ate in silence, never speaking about anything specific. Annie didn't look like she was in the mood for much conversation. She still appeared to be in shock, the reality not sinking in yet.

And he understood. It all will need time.

Her eyes fluttered closed every few seconds fighting the urge to sleep.  It was what her body desperately wanted, needed, but she fought it not wanting to waste another minute without Julien.  Instead she watched him with hooded eyes as he replenished their drinks and a heavy sigh left her lips while pondering all the events of the unexpected evening. 

If it hadn't been for Duncan she did not know what may have happened.  Never in her wildest dreams did she think to find Julien waiting for her with his memories back. They had no future to speak until an hour ago.  In the end they overcame all the obstacles—before the accident, during his amnesia and afterward.

Raw and fresh in her mind, she felt the sadness inside of her spurting forth as a bout of tears began to burn behind her eyes. Closing them tightly and exhaling through her nose helped stop the fresh onslaught of tears.  It was embarrassing what a sensitive ball of emotional weakness she'd become. It had to stop, she needed to regain and build herself back, admonishing herself silently in her mind.

Quite unexpectedly, too focused on herself to notice,  a high pitched scraping noise echoed into the dark night, catching her attention.    Scooting her chair closer to his and startling her, Julien lifted her with his strong arms as if she weighed no more than a feather, and into his lap making Annie squeal in surprise.