14. Homecoming Pt.2

Ellie's mommy on the side yo.

☆☆☆

His eyes drift everywhere in their attempts of avoiding my questioning stare. I nudge him by his shoulder and show him a pout he always has a soft side for. He rubs the back of his neck then finally spoke for what felt like years of pure awkward silence.

"Let's talk somewhere private." I rolled my eyes and waddled right behind him using his arm as support. We went behind the building and sat on one of the slightly broken chairs they had stacked everywhere.

"Promise me you won't run away once you know about the truth," his intense stare made a part of me dread my decision of asking tonight of all times. Way to go Ellie.

"Cross my heart and hope to die," I trail my index finger against my chest drawing an invisible cross.

"It's a long story," he sighed.

"We have all night," I looked up to the dark sky and drop my gaze back to him with a smile.

"Just a quick question, do you remember that time in middle school? It was that one time when we met." I looked at him like he's hit his head too hard. There's no way I've known him years ago. I'm pretty sure a younger Xander would be unforgettable-

"Yes! Let's be friends."

"Promise?"

"I pro-"

The care free smile I had on my lips faltered to a frown. My eyes widened in realization, the memories hitting me like a brick. It wasn't one of those "remember the time" reflections where it ends with shits and giggles. No. This one left me with goosebumps.

The boy, who killed someone that day, was Alexander Winters.

My Xander. The one who I cuddled with whenever we had movie nights at Logan's place. The one who helped me through my panic attacks. The one who I am now currently dating and even imagined a life with in the future.

My breath was stuck in my throat like the unsettling feeling swirling in the pits of my stomach. Xander tilts my head slightly by nudging my chin up. The simple contact made me feel somewhat calmer.

"So you do remember," he smiled past the expression which held hurt. Which I assumed was because of my shocked and scared expression. I held his hands squeezing them in reassurance that I won't jump to conclusions until I hear him out.

"His name was Ken Dole. Everyday after school, some of my team mates would pick on a nerd just for fun. I tried to stop them as much as I could. Turns out it wasn't enough. Ken was one of the kids they picked on. He was a nice kid really," Xander shut his eyes closed trying to stop the persistent tears welling up in his eyes. I plant kisses on the back of his hand and smiled at him. He's done that to me so many times, I was hoping it would do wonders for him as well. A smile made it's way back to his lips.

"One day," Xander let out a shaky breath and rubbed his temples.

☆☆☆

Xander's POV

I closed my eyes and let the painful string of memories resurface. Ellie was everything to me and if she wants to know the truth, I'll give it to her. Every little bit of it.

"Hey Ken what's up?" I asked hoping Dylan and his group of friends didn't get to him already. Ken's eyes that used to be filled with life and happiness appeared dull today. Just my imagination. The heat was getting to me.