Chapter Seventeen

November 9, 2015

Tate's POV:

"I'm sorry, Tate," Dr. Pierce said as he leveled his gaze at me. "But, I don't feel comfortable treating you anymore."

"What? Why?" I asked, trying to hold back the years that burned behind my eyes.

"Honestly, Tate," he sighed, "because I'm not comfortable with how close you are with my daughter."

Alexa's POV:

I didn't greet Tate before he went in for his session with Dad today. Instead, I sat in my bedroom and mentally rehearsed what I was going to have to do when he got out.

It was going to be the hardest thing I'd ever have to do.

I heard everything from just outside the doors to Dad's office. I could hear Tate's voice breaking as he spoke. As he tried to negotiate with my father.

The desperation in his voice broke my heart. This wasn't right. This was all my fault. And now, I had to make things right...even if it was going to kill me to do it.

When Tate came out of Dad's office after his session he was rubbing at his eyes with the backs of his hands.

I had to do it now while I knew Dad would be listening. It was now or never.

I took a deep breath and met Tate's gaze, "Tate, we need to talk..."

Tate's POV:

"What's up, Alexa?" I asked with a meek smile and a sniffle. I could see the tears building in her eyes, "What's wrong? You look so sad."

Alexa's POV:

I bit down hard on my lower lip and shook my head as I took in a ragged breath, "I-I can't do this..."

"Can't do what?" Tate asked as he put a comforting hand on my shoulder. I shrugged out of his touch. Tate winced as though I had just hit him.

I looked away from his big brown doe eyes and a sob escaped my lips. I crossed my arms over my chest against the cold I felt throughout my body over this whole situation, "I-I can't do this...anymore, Tate. Us. I can't do us anymore."

"What?" Tate asked sounding wounded as fresh tears formed in the corners of his eyes. "I don't understand. Why? What did I do?"

"I'm so sorry, Tate," I sobbed. "I just can't be in a relationship where I have to keep babysitting my partner's feelings. It's just-It's just I can't see you anymore. I'm so so sorry, Tate. You have to believe me, I never wanted to hurt you. Never."

"But," Tate said, his voice wavering, "I thought it was supposed to be you and me together for always."

"I'm sorry," I whispered. I wiped my eye with my hand and ran back up the stairs all the way to my room. I curled up in a ball on my bed and bawled my eyes out. I heard the front door shut as Tate left downstairs and started crying harder.