Chapter Twelve

Alexa's POV:

I hung up from talking to Tate and pulled my MacBook Pro onto my lap when I heard a knocking at my bedroom door, "Come in."

"Alexa," Dad said gently as he entered my room, "Sweetie, I think we need to talk."

"About what?" I asked in an uninterested tone as I scanned through my Facebook account's News Feed. I was still uber mad at him for what I caught him doing when I got home. I didn't want to talk to anyone but Tate right now. And I especially did not want to talk to my father at the moment about anything. I couldn't even look at him I was so angry.

"How was your day?" Dad asked as he sat down at the bottom edge of my bed diagonally across from where I was sitting.

"Well, I'm in high school, Dad," I sighed heavily. "And not only am I high school, I'm in a new high school where I still only know, like, three people. So, how do you think my day went?" I briefly looked up from my game of Dice With Buddies to cut Dad a quick glare.

"You're a Senior this year, Alexa," Dad stated as if I didn't already know what grade I'm in. "It can't really be that bad."

"That's easy for you to say," I scoffed. "You were Mr. Popularity when you were in high school, Dad. You had it easy. I bet Gran and Gramps never completely uprooted you from the only place you've ever known to be home and moved you all the way to the other side of the country."

"Well, you're right," Dad sighed. "I did have it pretty easy back when I was in high school...centuries ago." I could see him grinning at his own terrible joke out the corner of my eye and chose to ignore the fact he even tried to be funny.

"So, Dad," I sighed as I closed my laptop and set it beside me on the mattress. I leveled a look at my father, "Why are you really up here? 'Case if it really was just to ask me how my day was, you could've waited to ask me at dinner. I have a bunch of homework to do too, and I can't get it done if you're gonna be sitting here "shooting the breeze" with me about my day. Can I?"

"Alright," Dad sighed heavily. "I wanted to talk to you about earlier."

"Oh, well, I don't want to talk about that or anything else with you at the moment truthfully," I retorted sharply. I reached over, picked my laptop back up, opened it, and returned to my game of Dice With Buddies.

"Well, I think we should talk about it, Alexa," Dad said.

"Why?" I asked with a scoff. "Why should we talk about it, Dad? Why can't we just not deal with it and pretend like everything is fine like you and Mom do about everything else?"

"What are you talking about?" Dad asked.

"Oh, gee Dad, I don't know," I said sarcastically. "How about like the two of you pretending like everything is fine after she caught you sleeping with your student?" He looked at me with mild surprise in his expression. "Oh, what? Was I not supposed to know about what happened back in New York, Dad? Did you really forget that I was there when Mom caught you? When we caught you? Do you really think I'm that blind that I can't see just how miserable you two are since that day? I mean, her stupid dog can even tell that you guys aren't happy! I'm not an idiot, Dad! And I'm not a little girl anymore either! So, stop treating me like I am!"

Dad didn't even respond to my outburst. He just stood up and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Just as my door clicked shut, my phone began chiming. I got a text message:

Kurt: Is it safe yet? lol

Me: He just left the room

Me: So...yes

Me: I guess

Me: ??

Kurt: Cool

Kurt: Meet me @ our secret meeting spot in 5

Me: OK

Me: Why?

Kurt: I wanna see you

Kurt: I'll get us dinner

Me: OK

Me: See you in a few

Kurt: Cool

Kurt: Bye Alexa ;)

Me: lol

Me: Bye...Kurt ;) ;)

Kurt: lol

I slid my phone into the front right pocket of my jeans and made my way down stairs to the front door.

"Where are you going?" Dad asked as I reached for the door knob.

"Out to dinner with a friend," I replied flatly. "Bye."

"Which friend?" He asked.

"Farrah," I lied. "Bye." I rushed out the door before he could ask me anymore questions.