Chapter One

2015

Alexa's POV:

We arrived at our new house in Los Angeles, California, and had the realtor give us a tour.

"Full disclosure states that I'm to tell you about any deaths that occurred in the house within the last three years," Marcy said with a deep exhale of breath.

"Don't tell me that the last owners died here," Mom said.

"Well, yes, actually," Marcy answered. "The husband committed suicide, his wife died during childbirth, and their daughter ran away with her baby brother. The owners before them also passed on in the house; a murder/suicide."

"No wonder the price was so cheap for this place," Dad commented.

I rolled my eyes and walked off to explore the house. I went upstairs first and found which bedroom I wanted to be mine when we moved in, then I went down to the basement. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I heard someone or something moving around in the darkness.

"Hello? Is someone there?" I asked as I cautiously advanced further into the room. I got no answer.

I then decided to walk back upstairs to find Mom and Dad.

"I have another listing I could show you," Marcy was saying to my parents as I joined them in the modernized kitchen. "But, it's in the Valley and it's half the property for twice the cost."

"It's okay. You don't have to show us that house," I spoke up. "We'll take this one."

Mom and Dad both looked at me with shock written all over their faces.

"Alexa, Sweetie, are you sure you really want us living here?" Dad asked me in a hushed voice. "I mean, people have died in this house."

"Dad, you and Mom uprooted me from my home in New York and dragged all the way across the country, I only think it's fair that I get to pick the house we're gonna have to live in while we're living out here," I replied. "Besides, I like this house. It has personality."

"Alright," Dad sighed, then turned back to Marcy. "We'll take it."