Prologue

Smoke swirled through the meadow as an old woman appeared unexpectedly. The silence was deafening, with the only sounds being those of her bones and the agonizing ache of familiarity lurking in the air. Light was rapidly seeping out of the sky above. Suddenly, the decrepit woman turned around.

"Grandma," I whispered briefly. Recognition passed through her eyes with a spark and then she spoke, commanding attention in her frail state.

"Tell your parents what you can do, and tomorrow won't be yours to see, my dear Emilia."

Before I could question the value of her words, the world abruptly started spinning. I could feel the world revolving on its' axis as I reached out towards my beloved grandmother. I longed to touch the woman whom I have heard so many memories about.

However, as I hovered further and further away, I found all my senses floating adrift as the Earth lost all control of itself. I was thrown onto the ground unapologetically. The ground stunned my body, leaving my bones howling out in pain.

When I glanced up amidst the chaos to my grandmother, I watched her body disintegrate into nothing. The world had taken her from me for the second time. I felt the sting of my dried, hot tears burning my cold skin. With heavy eyelashes, I looked over and saw that a replica of myself was erratically sprinting towards me to escape the fall of an enormous pine tree. I saw the terror in my other self's eyes and wondered, 'Is this what would happen if I tell others my secret? What am I so scared of?'

My other self was lost far away in the distance now as another tree collapsed on my right. Determined, I tried with all my strength to get up from the lifeless ground, but it was as if the nerve cells in my brain had stopped communicating with my body.

I was stuck between the sky and the soil underneath me, paralyzed. My perception of depth was convoluted. A hand frantically reached down from the sky and next, all I saw was black.

Gasping for air, I began seeing stars in the dark abyss. The form of the leo called out to me as I continued to descend aimlessly into oblivion.

The next day, I pretended the dream never happened. I knew it was meant to be only mine.