Appearance

Nick is said to have black hair that always looks like he just got out of bed ( messy and shaggy ) , olive skin . The Battle of Labyrinth , his skin has paled to white , and he takes to wearing black clothing with skeletal designs , a Stygian Iron sword and a silver skull ring ( by the end of the book ) . By the time he meets Hazel Levesque , she describes his fingers as ghostly white , like their father's. It was stated by Percy that Nico has his mother's eyes , but it has also been said that he has the wild glint of a madman too , just like his father . According to Percy , Nico's hands are "as cold as ice" .

By the end of The battle of Labyrinth , he has a silver skull ring which is said to belong to his father ( as stated by Hazel ) , and he has a Stygian Iron sword always by his side in his chain belt . He is also mentioned on several occasions wearing an aviator's jacket , most likely because he was originally from WWII . Nico wears a black trench coat when he attempts to bring back Bianca , as shown in one of Hazel's blackouts . In The Last Olympian , Nico wear black battle armour with a skull shaped helmet . In The Son of Neptune , Nico is seen wearing a black toga when Peru goes to talk to the senators ( the reason being that togas are only worn on special occasions , like meetings ) . Nico always wears his Stygian Iron sword on his side in his chain belt . In The mark of Athena , Nico is much weaker , thinner and even paler than usual , while his eyes are described as "looking like shattered glass" , due to his ineffable experience in Tatarus .

Days later , in The House of Hades , Nico has began to recover and re-gain his strength , but is still described as "painfully thin" , with his black shirt and jean hanging loosely from his "skeleton frame" . His dark hair is longer and frames his face. However , the area around his sunken eyes eyes is very dark , while his complexion is even more pale than before , " a sickly greenish-white , like the colour of tree sap ". Being a demigod from another era , Nico radiates "a kind of old energy - a melancholy that came from knowing he didn't belong in the modern world " . Nico is also the only one who's skin doesn't get tanned in the hot northern African sun , and if anything , looked even paler than before , according to Jason .

Jason comments that since getting out of Tatarus , Nico " had slept little and eaten even less " . Seeing Nico casually eat a grape , he thinks that that will be his food for the day . Later , Jason is surprised that Nico actually has visible muscles when he takes off his jacket . According to Hazel , when upset , Nico's face would become "as dark as tatarus " . When Jason infuriates him , the ground opens up and Nico 'glows with ghostly light' . When Bryce infuriates him , the temperature around Nico drops to freezing , turning the ground around him white with frost . Several demigods , including Leo , Frank , and even Jason all admit to being afraid of the son of Hades .

In The Blood of Olympus , due to the stress of having to shadow-travel vast distances everyday , Nico's skin gains a bluish tint , and his cheeks are sunken . After his aviator's jacket and black skull patterned shirt are both torn to shreds , Nico begins wearing a tropical Puerto Rican shirt , decorated with parrots and palm trees , and with "isla del Encantorico" written on it . His biceps are swollen and several scarred from his fight with Lycaon , and after Reyna stitches them up for him , it gives Nico "a slightly creepy Frankenstein look " to the point that mortals on the street are scared off at the sight of him .