The house of Hades

The Argo ll is being attacked by nimina montanums , or mountain gods , who are attacking with boulders, As they attack , one of the boulders hits the mast , causing it to collapse , and Nico , who was in the rigging , falls with it . Hazel Levesque runs to help Nico up from the debris , but he tells her that he is fine . When Leo complains that mast don't grow on trees , Nico corrects him by saying that mast are made from trees , which only serves to annoy Leo further . Leo is forced to retreat again and the three try to think of an alternate way to past the Earth goddess .

Nico explains that they don't like them because children of Hade / Plute get under their skin but adds that the Athena Parthenos was most likely to attract more attention . When it is suggested that they take the Argo ll around the mountains over the water , Nico explains that going that way is longer and without their sea expert , Percy ,it might be too dangerous . Nico also complains that he is too simply Shadow travel the ship across the mountains . While coming up with ideas , Hazel tries to think of a way to help , not wanting her only contribution to be removing a dangerous obstacle Nico had told her was in the House of Hades . When Hazel prays to her father for help , Arion appears , running towards them . Nico asks who Arion is and is told by Leo that he is Hazel's horse .

When Jason and Nico go to retrieve Diocletian's scepter in Split , Croatia , they meet the god Favonius has been watching Nico and hints at Nico's secret crush , commenting , "The one you care for most.....plunged into Tatarus , and still you will not allow the truth " He then leads the two boys to Cupid . Cupid forces Nico to admit that he had feelings for Percy , in front of Jason Grace , in order to get Diocletian's scepter . Jason Attempts to comfort Nico and promises to keep it a secret , but Nico brushes Jason away .

Later Nico confronts Jason about leaving the palace of the Lord of the South Wind . Jason attempts to talk to Nico about what happened previously , saying that the others won't judge him . Nico becomes angrey and claims that a son of Hades he would never be accepted anywhere and always judged . In his anger , the ground opens up and Nico seems to shimmer with ghostly light . Jason then challenges him by saying that he should take a risk and believe that Jason really is his friend . As the scene reaches a climax , Nico tells Jason "I'm going to honour my promise . I'll take you to Epirus . I'll help you close the Doors of Death . Then that's it I'm leaving -forever ". The son of Hades then disappears back into the shadows . Jason has stated multiple time that Nico di Angelo scares him when he gets angry.

At Epirus , Nico leads the group into the underground temple . He works withe Frank Zhang to summon and control the dead legion against the group of monsters after the temple collapses and separates the group . The group reunites, and finds Percy and Annabeth Chase purged from the Doors of Death . They work together to fight Clytius and when he is defeated , Nico and Hazel shadow travel the group to safety as the temple caves in . Upon arriving at the surface , Nico and the group meet with and share a meal with Reyna Avila Ramirez - Arellano before Nico leaves to rest due to his future plans to Shadow travel with the Athena Parthenos , Reyna , and Coach Hedge to Camp half blood to help Reyna stop the impending civil war between the Greek and Roman camps .

At the end of the book , Nico ties the statue up with rope to be able to lift it and Percy comes to thank him for keeping his promise . Nico cuts him of and tells him to give him space . He then shadow travels away with Reyna and Coach Hedge .