Early life

Nico di Angelo was born sometime in the early 1930's in Venice Italy before Hades and his brother took an oath to have no more children .

Sine he was born in Italy and his mother was Italian ( the daughter of diplomat in Washington D.C ) he can speak fluent Italian . He had an older sister named Bianca di Angelo . Around the age of six , Nico visited Diocletian's palace in Split, Croatia . One of his neighbors , Pietro , had been a veteran of Mussolini's African Campaign . In The blood of Olympus , Nico sees a brief flashback from this time - his mother smiling down at him while the both walked by the Venetian Grand Canal . At some point near the beginning of World war 2 , Nico and his family left Italy for the United States , where they stayed at a fancy hotel in Washington , D.C . Their mother, Maria , died when Zeus struck the hotel they were staying in with lightning in order to kill the siblings , However they were protected by Hades as he erected an impenetrabile wall of black energy to shield them from Zeus's bolts , Hades was not able to protect their mother in time . Afterwards a devastated Hades ordered the Fury Alecto to take Nico and Bianca to the Underworld and bathe them in the River Lethe , in order to wipe their memories .