The battle of the labyrinth

The ghost king of King Minos finds Nico di Angelo in the labyrinth , and intended on manipulating the son of Hades into killing Daedalus in revenge for his unjust , however myth deserved death . In order to gain Nico's trust , Minos leads him through the maze of the labyrinth , saved him multiple times , and trained him how to utilize his infernal demigod powers . Hence , it is most likely that Minos was also the one to teach Nico to shadow travel . Nico later mentions that while trying to master this ability , he initially kept running into walls , and made several accidental trips to China . Nico is first seen through the iris message that Bianca sent to Percy . Nico tried to summon Bianca's ghost several times , but failed . Frustrated, he seeks to make a deel with his father by trading "a soul far a soul " . Pecy thinks that Nico is after him , but Nico is actually after someone else .

Nico decides to find the soul of someone who cheated death and trade it for Bianca's , along the way , he summons the soul of Theseus for advice . Later , Nico unexpectedly meets Percy , Annabeth , Tyson and grover at the triple- G ranch . He'd entered the ranch to discuss finding the soul he needed with Geryon. Angered , he threatens them , but is stopped by Geryon . Nico will blames Percy for Bianca's death , and tells him so . He is then tied up by Geryon to be sold to the Titan Army . When Percy offers a deal to Geryon to save him , Nico shouts that he does not want to saved by Percy .

Nonetheless , Percy still saves Nico , and convinces him to summon Bianca's spirit again . It works , however , Bianca tells Nico not to be angry at Percy or hold grudges , because that's the fatal flaw of the children of Hades. She says to stop blaming Percy because it is really she that Nico is angry at for abandoning him . She also gives a warning at Kronos sensing Nico , and the she disappears .

He stays at the triple- G ranch while the others leave . Nico is tricked by Minos into going back into the maze to save Percy , but is captured by two dracanae of Kronos . In the battle at Daedalus's Workshop , Nico opens a fissure in the ground , sending Minos back to the underworld . He tells Percy that only the dead accept him , and they only do so out of fear .

He escapes with Percy , Annabeth and Rachel Elizabeth Dare , who have to go back into the labyrinth to find Grover and Tyson . Along the way they see Kronos ( in the form of Luke Castellan), and Nico , in a desperate attempt to save everyone , shows his true power , by conjuring a wall of black stone that stops Kronos from following them back into the labyrinth but also making it known to Kronos that he is a son of Hades .

When they found Grover and Tyson , they also found the long - lost god Pan , and Nico notices that he is the only one that Pan doesn't talk to .

During the battle at camp half blood , Nico summons many undead worries to fight , and stop some rogue dracanae from reaching the cabins of the gods . The effort nearly kill him and he collapses on the ground , with his clothes smoking , at the end of the battle .

Percy finds him and helps him by giving him nectar. He releases Daedalus's soul after that , who offers his soul for ransom , but Nico decides that Bianca should stay where she is .

He feels out of place at Camp half blood , and refuses to eat with the other demigods or join the singalong at the campfire . Nico summons Bianca's spirit one last time to say goodbye . He tells Percy that he will leave Camp half blood because he feels that he doesn't belong there like his father doesn't belong on Olympus . Before he leaves , Percy gives him the small Hades statue that Bianca had given him before she died .

He appears again at the very end on Percy's birthday at his apartment , and offers a way to defeat Kronos , but is distracted by Percy's blue birthday cake , and Percy offers him some , and they both go inside to talk about Nico's secret plan to beat Kronos .