Chapter 45: Resiliency

Start from the beginning

Levi straigtens his posture at this remark.

Darius notices the man's sudden interest in the subject of conversation and inquires, "You didn't tell your subordinates, I presume?" He raises a loose finger towards Levi.

"Don't tell me you've made another secret deal again," Levi scoffs as he is reminded of the mess that the commander's previous gamble had created.

Erwin looks down to observe the inside of his glass. His apparent dodging of the subject brings Levi to assume that his speculation is correct. However, this avoidance is short lived when Erwin informs him with sure confidence, "Commander Zackly had transferred a small amount of the food and supply funds from the Military Police to the funding of this building."

"A negligible amount on their part, considering the fact that a portion of tax money is heavily allocated towards their funds and their accounting managers don't do their job well for the most part," the old man adds wearily while pushing his sleeves up his hairy forearms and folding his arms, "But I am sure it serves to be a significant amount on the Survey Corps's side of the deal."

Levi slowly sits back in his chair after receiving such knowlege.

It seems that Zackly fancies making these kinds of deals as well.

However, Levi is well aware that his decision to follow through with this may have been influenced by a sort of bias.

Levi notices that Zackly had brought out a sealed envelope from the inside of his shirt and is currently sliding it towards Erwin. "Do me a favor and give this to her for me, Erwin," he clears his throat before mentioning, "It will reach her faster this way."

A light flickers in his formerly dull eyes at the very moment when he had made this request.

Thus, Levi is able to conclude that the influence may not have been as light as he had thought.

The unkempt man examines his hands and is suddenly overcome with a gentleness characterized by that of an elder man. "She has eloquence like her mother," he mutters, "I can tell just by the way she writes."

He pushes his glasses up to the bridge of his nose and looks calmly towards Erwin. "Surely, she was able to make it through this recent expedition?" he asks. His expression subtly indicates worry.

Both Erwin and Levi look somewhat bewilderingly to this man who had made such an abrupt change while he spoke of his daughter. However, Erwin is the first to break from their bafflement when he pushes Zackly's letter towards Levi and insists, "Levi works more closely with Renata. Therefore, I am confident that he will be able to deliver your letter much faster."

By averting his focus, he directs the old man's attention to his subordinate at the other end of the table. "You mustn't worry, Commander. Your daughter is alive. However, I believe that he is the one who can answer your question with greater detail."

Erwin rises from his chair and stands tall before Darius. "Please excuse me. I must retire now," He announces before bidding the two men a good night and making his way out of the dining hall.

The old man scratches his scalp after watching him leave.

Levi takes another sip from his tea.

"You do know that he's not actually going to sleep, right? His wanting to retire is an excuse to return to his office to complete more paperwork," Levi informs the man before bringing the cup to his lips again.

"I am well aware of that."

Silence gradually enters the space once more.

Darius taps his stiff fingers against the table while he stares at his present companion with dull eyes.